Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
JeffOYB
JeffOYB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Textbook Creator crashing! omitting!

Hi! I'm new to ebooks and new to this forum.

I'm trying to use KTC to get my 50mb PDF book file ready to upload into the Amazon Kindle Direct program.

KTC is behaving totally randomly! It's nuts! Sometimes it instantly loads my book. But then I notice ONE photo is missing. Odd. So I saved that page in a dozen formats and arrangements and finally was able to separately replace the page that didn't work. Then I tried to Preview -- spinning clock, crash. Apple says "Application not responding."

I've also tried various other PDFs, sometimes one-pagers just to explore how the program works and it rarely will open a file.

Actually, I don't really know how to proceed w my book. It's a 2 column layout in print w about 1 color photo per page, related to the content.

I've tried Exporting from Indesign as Flowable EPUB and the pics all just stack up at the end. My other option seems to be Fixed Layout. I can generate an EPUB that way but I understand that won't work with Amazon Kindle. I'm trying to create a file for Kindle. I wouldn't mind one column of text with photos dropping in after their relevant paragraph. That seems like it should be easy to do but not so far for me. Maybe someone has a super-easy tip for me? I've also tried converting the EPUB w Calibre and that didn't work either. I forget why.
JeffOYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle Textbook Creator is obsolete. You should try using Kindle Create instead.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
JeffOYB

Thanks! I did! I used Create and it worked!

...I still would like to learn a handy way to make a Reflowable Ebook. I need to learn a simple way to anchor my existing, already-placed photos to relevant paragraphs in Indesign.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOYB View Post
Thanks! I did! I used Create and it worked!

...I still would like to learn a handy way to make a Reflowable Ebook. I need to learn a simple way to anchor my existing, already-placed photos to relevant paragraphs in Indesign.
In short, you cannot. Not for eBooks. The only way to do that--and it's a workaround and dicey at best, is to put the image and the paragraph each into cells inside a table. Tables have their OWN issues in eBooks.

Reflowable eBooks are not print. Not every book in print can be formatted as an eBook, outside of the realm of the very, very user-unfriendly "print replica."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
JeffOYB

I used anchors and solved my problem of controlling the location of photos. Done!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used anchors and solved my problem of controlling the location of photos. Done!
I hope you tested that on myriad devices, post-publication.

Hitch
Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
JeffOYB

The EPUB looks great on everything.

PS: Rats. My pics display great in EPUB but when I use Calibre to convert the file to AZW3 or MOBI they get too small on each page. (They still enlarge good when dblclked.) Rats. Why did the conversion in Calibre shrink my display pics? Rats!

I also note that the Mobi file is 12mb and the AZW3 is 27mb!

Last edited by JeffOYB; 11-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The EPUB looks great on everything.

PS: Rats. My pics display great in EPUB but when I use Calibre to convert the file to AZW3 or MOBI they get too small on each page. (They still enlarge good when dblclked.) Rats. Why did the conversion in Calibre shrink my display pics? Rats!

I also note that the Mobi file is 12mb and the AZW3 is 27mb!
Yup. That's why I asked if you'd tested it. Also, "anchors" won't work.

Hitch
Old 11-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
JeffOYB

The EPUB looks and works fine in all tests, anchors hold.

It's the Calibre conversion to Kindle where image display is now failing. Rats.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The EPUB looks and works fine in all tests, anchors hold.

It's the Calibre conversion to Kindle where image display is now failing. Rats.
Yes, I know. That's why I asked you, originally, if you'd tested it.

Hitch
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
JeffOYB

solution found! ... https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1839950
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
As I said in your other thread, when you posted this, IF you want all your images to be 100% of the width of whatever device, no matter how big (including, btw, K4PC and K4Mac), that's fine. It does NOT work for KF7, at all.

I mean, if it were that simple, everyone here would have told you. But, as I said, if your images are supposed to be the full-size of the screen, no matter what, yes, that will work. (Mostly)

Hitch
Old 11-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
JeffOYB

Kindle Previewer on my laptop shows images at about half screen width -- same with Kindle in my iPhone and Samsung.