Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any big advantage to upgrading from 9.9 and 9.10 for a writer?

I've got 9.9 on a linux computer and 9.10 on a windows 10 computer. They both work amazingly well (thank you!) but I keep getting the alert that new versions are available (the latest being 9.16). I've glanced at the changes but can somebody give me their opinion if it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade and to what version, or as long as things are working for me with what I've got I should just hang with it. I'm just writinig novels for publishing on Amazon. Thanks. P.S. Like what does the page edit function (replacing BookView) do?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:54 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First thought - IIABDFI

In my experience, if you're going to upgrade any software, there's rarely any point in not upgrading to the latest official release version. And if you read the release notes for Sigil releases 0.9.11-15 you'll see there are specific reasons for avoiding some of those releases. On Windows version 0.9.16 seems to be rock solid.

I never used Book View (it was several years before I even knew it existed) so I don't miss at all. But surprisingly I find Page Edit useful because I can see the effect of wysiwyg editing in the code inspector panel - and if I'm inclined I can edit the code in the inspector panel and see the effect in the wysiwig panel.

The next version of PageEdit will probably have spellcheck.

I'll let others speak to the technicalities - there were some issues regard the sigil.ini file that you may need to be made aware of. DD and/or KH can advise you best on that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-30-2019 at 04:12 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You might actually have trouble upgrading to the latest Sigil on your linux system, Gregg. 0.9.16 and PageEdit work best with a very recent version of Qt. That would probably mean compiling them both yourself.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
For me, the biggest change is the memory usage. But if you don't see that as a problem, you may want to stay where you are, at least until Qt catches up.

(If you do want to upgrade to the latest and don't want to compile Qt yourself, you can use this PPA: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:beineri/opt-qt-5.12.3-bionic . Do remember to use it when doing the cmake.)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
First thought - IIABDFI

In my experience, if you're going to upgrade any software, there's rarely any point in not upgrading to the latest official release version. And if you read the release notes for Sigil releases 0.9.11-15 you'll see there are specific reasons for avoiding some of those releases. On Windows version 0.9.16 seems to be rock solid.

I never used Book View (it was several years before I even knew it existed) so I don't miss at all. But surprisingly I find Page Edit useful because I can see the effect of wysiwyg editing in the code inspector panel - and if I'm inclined I can edit the code in the inspector panel and see the effect in the wysiwig panel.

The next version of PageEdit will probably have spellcheck.

I'll let others speak to the technicalities - there were some issues regard the sigil.ini file that you may need to be made aware of. DD and/or KH can advise you best on that.

BR
Thanks very much, Red. I hear you about the IIABDFI notion, but the new versions entice! And I'm at a good place to make a transition. Thanks for the explanation of the the Page Edit function. I don't know if it will help me but I'll find out. And it's good to know 16 is solid.
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You might actually have trouble upgrading to the latest Sigil on your linux system, Gregg. 0.9.16 and PageEdit work best with a very recent version of Qt. That would probably mean compiling them both yourself.
Thanks Diap. I was thinking of keeping 9.9 on the Linux computer and getting 9.16 on my Windows 10 computer, which is 64 bit. 9.16 and the page edit plugin (0.7.1) should work on the Windows 10 computer, right? And if I switch a file back and forth between 9.9 and 9.16 there should be no compatibility problems, right?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
For me, the biggest change is the memory usage. But if you don't see that as a problem, you may want to stay where you are, at least until Qt catches up.

(If you do want to upgrade to the latest and don't want to compile Qt yourself, you can use this PPA: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:beineri/opt-qt-5.12.3-bionic . Do remember to use it when doing the cmake.)
Thanks a lot, Patrik. Right now I'm just planning on getting 9.16 on my Windows 10 computer. If I ever try to get it on the Linux computer, I'll refer back to your reply.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you're using Ubuntu Disco, then your qt version will be new enough that you can get the best out of the new Sigil/PageEdit versions.

Otherwise I would not bother. Faffing around with compiling programs from source is enough of a challenge for average users that you don't need to add infrastructure updates on top of that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you're using Ubuntu Disco, then your qt version will be new enough that you can get the best out of the new Sigil/PageEdit versions.

Otherwise I would not bother. Faffing around with compiling programs from source is enough of a challenge for average users that you don't need to add infrastructure updates on top of that.
Thanks a lot, eschwartz. I'm using Xubuntu 18.04LTS. But yeah, I don't want to mess with the sort of things Patrik was saying if I don't have to. (What he said was way over my head and I would need tons of help to implement it.) I'll just keep 9.9 on the linux computer and try 9.16 on the Windows 10 computer.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You shouldn't have any trouble using the different version on Windows, Gregg.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You shouldn't have any trouble using the different version on Windows, Gregg.
Great. Thanks Diap.