Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Firmware Update and Calibre Problems

I must preface this by saying that I have an older version of Calibre (3.48) because my computer OS is Win 7.
If this should be in the Calibre section, feel free to move it.

Earlier, I was loading some books from Calibre onto my Libra 2 which is now running firmware version 4.32.19501. I'd just put some metadata and blurb onto the books. But this message popped up:

Quote:
Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 168.
Device firmware version: (4, 32, 19501)
Not wanting to do a factory reset of the Libra I just right clicked the device icon, selected Configure this Device and then Attempt to Support Newer Firmware. I was then asked to restart Calibre, which I did.

However, on sending another book to my Libra 2, the "Calibre doesn't support new database" message popped up again.

Despite this, the books were successfully sent to the Libra 2.

Should I be concerned? I'm not very techie and don't fully understand the implications of the message.

I haven't yet patched the new firmware, but I'm considering rolling back to the patched 4.30 which in many ways I prefered.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:15 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS If I do decide to go back to the 4.30 firmware, how do I do this manually, preferably without performing a factory reset?
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That is the usual message that calibre displays when a newer firmware version is seen than it is coded for. So, the answer is the same as it always is. Check the thread for the firmware version and look for the calibre status. Or, just follow the instructions.

Of course, as calibre 3.48, does not have support for the Libra 2, you must be running my KoboTouch348 driver that adds support for the newer devices. And as you have found that, it surprises me that you don't already know this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is the usual message that calibre displays when a newer firmware version is seen than it is coded for. So, the answer is the same as it always is. Check the thread for the firmware version and look for the calibre status. Or, just follow the instructions.

Of course, as calibre 3.48, does not have support for the Libra 2, you must be running my KoboTouch348 driver that adds support for the newer devices. And as you have found that, it surprises me that you don't already know this.
I am running the KoboTouch348 driver. I put this into Calibre when I first had the Libra 2. It may even have been you who guided me to do this.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I am running the KoboTouch348 driver. I put this into Calibre when I first had the Libra 2. It may even have been you who guided me to do this.
It is OK to run 4.32 with the 34B driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is OK to run 4.32 with the 34B driver.
On the Calibre website it is recommended that users of Win 7 install Calibre 3.48. The driver helps this version of Calibre to see the Libra.

The recent update to 4.32 has caused issues with Calibre, noted in the first post. As this update hasn't added anything to the Libra that I didn't already have with the 4.30 with patches (yours) I thought I might go back to that firmware version.

The current firmware (4.32) is making the Libra sluggish, creating wider line spacing, and messing with the page turn buttons. I was happier before the upgrade.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Is this the correct way to do it?

Unzip 4.30.18838 to .kobo on the Libra. Eject the Libra, let it go through booting, or whatever and hope for the best?

Will this restore the 4.30 patches which were installed?
Old 05-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
My main computer is a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit system. I have found that Calibre Portable 5.42.0 (the latest) runs fine on it. Have you tried installing that version? (You don't have to uninstall your previous one to try this.) You can get it here:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

Also, the regular version of Calibre 4.23.0 -- the final version 4 release -- also works fine on my Windows 7 system. You can get it here:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/4.23.0/
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:39 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
My main computer is a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit system. I have found that Calibre Portable 5.42.0 (the latest) runs fine on it. Have you tried installing that version? (You don't have to uninstall your previous one to try this.) You can get it here:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

Also, the regular version of Calibre 4.23.0 -- the final version 4 release -- also works fine on my Windows 7 system. You can get it here:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/4.23.0/
Thank you for this information. I'll try these versions of Calibre in the future. My version of Windows 7 is the Home Premium.

For now, I would really like to return to the 4.30 firmware. I prefered the way it looked and behaved. The patches helped the appearance, but there are some behaviour quirks, which I mention above, that are really annoying me. So I'll try the method I asked about above, which seems to be how it's done, according to the googling results.

I wish someone here would confirm this is the correct method. It's the exact one I used to update to 4.32 in the first place.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Is this the correct way to do it?

Unzip 4.30.18838 to .kobo on the Libra. Eject the Libra, let it go through booting, or whatever and hope for the best?
Yes.

Quote:
Will this restore the 4.30 patches which were installed?
No.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:55 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes.

No.
Thank you!

I'll just have to re-install the patches using the same .tgz as before?
Old 05-08-2022, 10:07 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you!

I'll just have to re-install the patches using the same .tgz as before?
Yes, if you still have the koboroot.tgz file from the 4.30 patches you can use that. Otherwise you will need to recreate it.

Note the koboroot.tgz file from either 4.31 or 4.32 will likely not work fully or potentially at all with 4.30 and could cause unforeseen issues. So make sure you're using the correct .tgz file.

Should you choose to go to 4.32 again the same is true except you'd need the koboroot.tgz file from 4.32 patches.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Thank you. I've done it. The kobo is now running 4.30.18838 with patches. It's working much better. The button issue is no longer an annoyance: I can change the font size or brightness using the buttons and after dismissing the menus the buttons revert to being page turns. The font menu is faster, and the reader as a whole has more zip.

Reinstalling the old patches makes the page look much nicer and gets rid of the horrid space between lines and at the bottom and top of the screen.

I haven't yet tried this with Calibre, but I expect them to be happier working together.

Lesson learned: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll stay with this firmware until there's very good reason to upgrade. (The wifi is permanently off because I don't have wifi in the house.)
Old 05-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On the Calibre website it is recommended that users of Win 7 install Calibre 3.48. The driver helps this version of Calibre to see the Libra.

The recent update to 4.32 has caused issues with Calibre, noted in the first post. As this update hasn't added anything to the Libra that I didn't already have with the 4.30 with patches (yours) I thought I might go back to that firmware version.

The current firmware (4.32) is making the Libra sluggish, creating wider line spacing, and messing with the page turn buttons. I was happier before the upgrade.
But when I get back home, I can send you the patches for 4.32. Then these things you don't like will go away.

As for sluggish, that's not something I have found with 4.32. I've not read of anyone having trouble with the buttons. So if you go back, you'd just end up going forward again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But when I get back home, I can send you the patches for 4.32. Then these things you don't like will go away.

As for sluggish, that's not something I have found with 4.32. I've not read of anyone having trouble with the buttons. So if you go back, you'd just end up going forward again.
Quoth, Sirtel, and I have all posted about button issues.

There have been posts about some patches causing slow downs, particularly for the Libra 2.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, firmware update, libra 2