Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
Kobo books and DRM

I bought a book on Kobo website - 120mb in size (academic textbook). I downloaded and imported into Adobe Digital Editions - opens fine. However I mainly use Calibre and use epubsoft to strip the DRM so that I can import the book to calibre and read it there, as I know how to highlight, bookmark, etc.
My latest book - the 12omb looked to have been drm-stripped ok, but when I try to view it in calibre it says it is still DRM'd.
Has Kobo got a new DRM format that my old stripper can't use? Or is the size of the file too biig for it to be completely stripped?
Any suggestions for getting rid of DRM for large books?
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
We can’t really help with drm removal. However if you Google Alf and drm you’ll find tools which will help you.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:16 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
I bought a book on Kobo website - 120mb in size (academic textbook). I downloaded and imported into Adobe Digital Editions - opens fine. However I mainly use Calibre and use epubsoft to strip the DRM so that I can import the book to calibre and read it there, as I know how to highlight, bookmark, etc.
My latest book - the 12omb looked to have been drm-stripped ok, but when I try to view it in calibre it says it is still DRM'd.
Has Kobo got a new DRM format that my old stripper can't use? Or is the size of the file too biig for it to be completely stripped?
You might want to check out Adobe Content Server and RMSDK / FAQ.

So yes, Adobe has a new DRM scheme and much like Amazon's new DRM schemes, it is popular with textbook and other high priced book vendors.

You might want to Google noDRM DeDRM Github to locate the latest version of DeDRM.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-06-2022 at 11:20 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
We can’t really help with drm removal. However if you Google Alf and drm you’ll find tools which will help you.
That's not correct any longer. That will find the old version of DeDRM. It's actually difficult to search for the current version. So here is the direct URL to noDRM's Github where you can download the current DeDRM plugin.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:19 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to check out Adobe Content Server and RMSDK / FAQ.

So yes, Adobe has a new DRM scheme and much like Amazon's new DRM schemes, it is popular with textbook and other high priced book vendors.

You might want to Google noDRM DeDRM Github to locate the latest version of DeDRM.
Doing a search for noDRM DeDRM Github brings up the old site and not the new site. It's actually difficult to search for the new site. Try it and see if you can come up with working search terms.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Doing a search for noDRM DeDRM Github brings up the old site and not the new site. It's actually difficult to search for the new site. Try it and see if you can come up with working search terms.
Using Google and again sticking with MobileRead: "nodrm site:mobileread.com"
Old 06-08-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using Google and again sticking with MobileRead: "nodrm site:mobileread.com"
I've had to amend your search slightly as the first result was the message posted by NoDRM and not the one with the URL. But this does work.

"nodrm https site:mobileread.com"
Old 06-08-2022, 04:47 AM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
There are much better alternatives available now, like lib+(the French word for guru).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:31 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There are much better alternatives available now, like lib+(the French word for guru).
Since it's such a generic term I'm not getting any hits on searches. Do you have a link to lib+?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:37 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Why would you actually pay for epubsoft when you can get Calibre and the DeDRM plugin for free?

Does anyone know if epubsoft has stolen code from DeDRM like that other pay for DRM removal program (which I won't name)?
Old 06-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Since it's such a generic term I'm not getting any hits on searches. Do you have a link to lib+?
I think they meant libgourou

Personally, if I was using a linux machine exclusively, I'd look at the ACSM input plugin for calibre
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:28 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think they meant libgourou

Personally, if I was using a linux machine exclusively, I'd look at the ACSM input plugin for calibre
From the first post in the ACSM input plugin , it is based on the libgourou package.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That shows how long it is since I read that post. Thanks for the clarification.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, drm removal, kobo