Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Kobo Aura - compared to more expensive readers?

I'm looking for my first e reader. Started commuting about an hour so was thinking I could take up reading again.

Just wondering what the differences are between the Kobo Aura and the more expensive options.
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
The specs should all be listed on the website. Off the top of my head more expensive options are larger (like the Aura One at 7.8" screen), and/or have waterproofing and the warm light feature.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The primary difference between Kobo's current "Aura" devices is size. Three screen sizes: 6", 6.8" and 7.8". This then gives three different resolutions and, unfortunately, three different DPI's ("unfortunately" because I think they all should be 300DPI). And of course, the screen size affects the overall size and the weight of the device.

The light is another difference. The Aura Edition 2 has what Kobo calls "ComfortLight" and the other two have "ComfortLight PRO". The primary difference is that with "ComfortLight PRO" you can adjust the warmth of the light.

The software is identical. There are visual differences, but they are related to the hardware differences. The only extra is that you can connect to an Overdrive account on the Aura ONE and borrow books from your library.

To me, especially for a device used during a commute, size is the primary concern. A lot of people will find the smaller device easier to manage on a train or bus. And that is why I used the Glo HD in preference to the original Aura H2O. The current devices are a bit slimmer in design. The extra size of the Aura ONE doesn't seem inconvenient, but the original Aura H2O did.

I've ignored price deliberately. If you can't afford the more expensive devices, the Aura will be fine. But, if you can, you should consider them as the features can make the experience better, and that is probably worth the money.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I'll add to davidfor's comments on size...

If you read a lot of PDFs, get the biggest screen you can. If it's all epub, anything bigger than a cellphone is fine.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To me, especially for a device used during a commute, size is the primary concern. A lot of people will find the smaller device easier to manage on a train or bus.
I wish Kobo would resurrect the Mini in some fashion. My 1st generation Aura is not a boat anchor by any stretch of the imagination, but something even an inch smaller with a high DPI lighted screen would be great.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'll add to davidfor's comments on size...

If you read a lot of PDFs, get the biggest screen you can. If it's all epub, anything bigger than a cellphone is fine.
I'll chime in with if you read a lot of PDF, get an iPad.

Some people need to read with a larger font size and a larger screen makes that a better experience. I have an H2O and I don't need to use a larger font size and I prefer the 6.8" screen to a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd say that for commuting, smaller is better. Reading (epub) works fine on any size and I agree with the.Mtn.Man that an updated Mini (higher res, and with front light) would be wonderful.

For PDF's, e-ink readers are less than ideal because of the ponderous scrolling (which is why people advocate taking as large a reader as you can so fullscreen is still readable) but you'll end up with wasted borders. Just don't go there, is my advice.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
lambstone
Enthusiast
lambstone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll chime in with if you read a lot of PDF, get an iPad.

Some people need to read with a larger font size and a larger screen makes that a better experience. I have an H2O and I don't need to use a larger font size and I prefer the 6.8" screen to a 6" screen.
I agree. The H2O with its larger screen makes for a better comic/manga reading experience too. But for PDFs I have a tablet for that
lambstone is offline   Reply With Quote