Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Got my new Oasis today, first impressions

I received my new Oasis today! For those interested some short notes:

Build quality is excellent. When you hold the device in your hand, it feels a bit cold, just like an iPad, but only or a few seconds. The reader is very comfortable to hold, even with one hand.

The light is distributed very even. NO light cones or light bulbs.

The light sensor works nice, but if you don't like it, it can be turned off easily.

Page turnes are very very quick.

Now the interesting part for the guys from the developers corner:

I have the 8 GB model, serial number beginning with G000. Firmware is 5.9.0.5.1, 6144 MB free space left!

In the font menu there are no bold options as in FW 5.8.11.

I am very pleased with this device. This is the first time ever I got a device without any flaws from Amazon. Maybe I was just lucky this time, but I say good job!
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Someone reported in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharos View Post
The new Kindle Oasis was delivered today...The Firmeware-Version is 5.9.0.6
Perhaps they installed the firmware update that was promised to be available when the device was released. Or perhaps different units were shipped with different firmware.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What are the first six characters of the serial number?
What model? Wifi Only or Wifi+3G
What country purchased from, what country delivered to?

That is, the general information shown in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I received my new Oasis today! For those interested some short notes:

In the font menu there are no bold options as in FW 5.8.11.
Is that because the reader doesn't come with the 5.8.11 software installed?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What are the first six characters of the serial number?
What model? Wifi Only or Wifi+3G
What country purchased from, what country delivered to?

That is, the general information shown in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
- G000P8

- model is Wifi only

- purchased in and delivered to Germany
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Is that because the reader doesn't come with the 5.8.11 software installed?

Jim
I can only guess, but I think so. I tried with some sideloaded AZW files and also with Kindle documentation, but the menu for fonts looks like pre FW 5.8.11.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I can only guess, but I think so. I tried with some sideloaded AZW files and also with Kindle documentation, but the menu for fonts looks like pre FW 5.8.11.
Check in the settings menu “About this Kindle.”

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Some guy on Twitter said that Calibre does not recognize the new Oasis? I guess that will be corrected soon.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Check in the settings menu “About this Kindle.”

Jim
As I said in the first post, the firmware is 5.9.0.5.1 And there is no bold font option, although it is a higher firmware version than 5.8.11, which introduced this option to other Kindle models.

Guess I misinterpretated your first post. Didn't realised you meant firmware when saying software. My fault ...
Old 10-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I was wondering, can the page turn buttons be disabled? I don't use buttons, pressing a button over and over aggravates an old repetitive stress injury.

If not, is it easy to hold the device and not accidentally press the buttons? Or are they in the way of holding the device and swiping or tapping to turn pages? This is the one thing that worries me, being that the screen is off center.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Some guy on Twitter said that Calibre does not recognize the new Oasis? I guess that will be corrected soon.
Why guess, when you can look at the Calibre forum and see for yourself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
‘No bold font option’ - I think there used to be Amazon Ember Bold but with the bold slider it is just Amazon Ember.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
I'm very interested in whether Bluetooth can be used with a remote to turn pages.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
trekk, if your oasis has the invert white on black feature, can you try testing something for me? Load the two public domain books attached. 1) Open the white on black version, look it over, then 2) open the normal version and turn on the kindle's white on back feature. Can you tell me whether they look the same or different, and if so, how?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Metamorphosis-normal.azw3 (579.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: azw3 Metamorphosis - white on black.azw3 (579.4 KB, 242 views)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
trekk, if your oasis has the invert white on black feature, can you try testing something for me? Load the two public domain books attached. 1) Open the white on black version, look it over, then 2) open the normal version and turn on the kindle's white on back feature. Can you tell me whether they look the same or different, and if so, how?

Thanks
Interesting test. I'd also like to see the black in comparison with the Voyage. Other Carta screens don't seem as dense black as the Voyage black background.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote