Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
crashie
crashie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
[Aura H2o] So, this is a broken screen right?

Had it in my backpack while at the beach. Next day it gave me this.

Last edited by crashie; 10-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.
crashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it is a broken screen. The only real option is to buy another one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't see any angled lines, so it could be a controller problem instead of a broken substrate.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I can't really tell from the image as posted if there are any curved/diagonal lines on the bottom half of the screen so it's possible you have a damaged controller rather than a cracked screen substrate but I'd take a close look at the screen looking for any lines that are not horizontal or vertical.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
crashie

The screen is not cracked, only had it in my backpack on a hot day.
Here's a better image of the lines. They're all horizontal lines.
At first the top half was still normal and it accepted input from the whole screen. Now it's just stuck like this.

Last edited by crashie; 10-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Advert
Old 10-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashie View Post
At first the top half was still normal and it accepted input from the whole screen. Now it's just stuck like this.
I don't see any diagonal lines so you might have a controller issue. Depending on when you purchased the H2O, you could try contacting Kobo and see what they have to say. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I think this is the important note. Inside hot backpacks and hot cars is not where you want to leave ereaders - A broken screen the likely result.

I also recall a case a few years ago where all the lines were horizontal and it looked to be a controller issue. Eventually the person opened up the case to find damage to the edge of the display, an area covered by the bezel.

But, here's hoping none of that is your issue - Good Luck!
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
The screen doesn't break from the front but from the glass substrate underneath.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
crashie

Ok, thanks.
Just got a reply back that the warranty ended 4 months ago. I'll open it up and check the insides.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ok, thanks.
Just got a reply back that the warranty ended 4 months ago. I'll open it up and check the insides.
A broken screen is not covered under warranty. That's user damage.

Oh and as for your photos, please attach them so others can see them. Others who have not seen them cannot help.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
crashie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A broken screen is not covered under warranty. That's user damage.

Oh and as for your photos, please attach them so others can see them. Others who have not seen them cannot help.
I got it covered under warranty! They said it wasn't worth to repair it a they refunded me in full. I love our consumer laws.
Now I can get a new e-reader again.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I got it covered under warranty! They said it wasn't worth to repair it a they refunded me in full. I love our consumer laws.
Now I can get a new e-reader again.
Good to hear that you managed to get your refund.