Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
books about fairy tales

I'm not looking for collections of fairy tales, but rather a history of the genre, or books analyzing them. I've just finished Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment, for example, but would like more non-Freudian viewpoints.

I should add, I've got the Tolkien book "on fairy tales" - is that considered definitive, or are there others I should read?

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 06-30-2013 at 08:40 AM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry, I only know "warped" takes on fairy tales rather than serious analysis.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
voodoo_pepperweb
voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.voodoo_pepperweb has met Morla.

Device: Kindle K3, Android phone
Here are a couple books I can recommend:
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers by Marina Warner

No Go, the Bogeyman: Scaring, Lulling, and Making Mock by Marina Warner

Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales by Jack Zipes

There are a lot of good articles on the archive for The Journal of Mythic Arts.
The articles usually cite a number of books for further reading.
http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/ar...t/fairy_tales/

I especially liked the one on Red Riding Hood:
http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrPathNeedles.html

I hope you find this useful.
voodoo_pepperweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Marie-Louise von Franz wrote many books on the interpretation of fairy tales. Probably easiest to check your local libraries, Amazon, or ABEbooks to see what you can find. She was a long time associate of Carl Jung, so definitely not Freudian. Some of her work can be somewhat difficult, but not nearly as difficult as those of Jung's works intended for his psychoanalytic peers.
At a guess, Tolkien's book might be from a literature viewpoint, while von Franz is definitely psychoanalytic.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote