Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #361
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Overall I still consider it more open due to the file format. You just aren't going to find too much mobi, and whatever that new Amazon format you mention is that I've never even heard of, outside of Amazon's sphere.
File format is irrelevant, I think. I buy my books from Amazon and convert them to epub, easy peasy. If you are sideloading, you can convert your epub to the appropriate Kindle format with Calibre. If you aren't sideloading, you can't edit the book anyway.

Both devices have locked down OSes. The only difference is that the Kindle allows you to sideload to your heart's content and the Nook is partitioned.

Understand, I prefer Nooks to Kindles. I think from the hardware standpoint, Barnes and Noble have usually been ahead of Amazon. But when comparing the two, be honest.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #362
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no way I would pay for B&N's stupidity. All that's doing is telling B&N that it's OK to be stupid and partition the memory.
Wow! I sure have to agree with that! No Nook! And I can't pay Kobo for creating a reader that's buggy! And I can't pay Amazon for creating a reader that doesn't have a built-in inflatable recliner. And I sure don't want one that's not supported in the USA so I can't get one of the off-brand readers.

I guess I better go back to paper books. But wait!!! I can't really read paper books easily anymore.

I know what I can do. I'll shoplift my next reader.

But wait!!! I don't have a car to get to the shop. I can't buy a GM car because Ford had a better idea. I can't buy a Chrysler product because they're pretty stupid. I can't buy a Ford. I'm not sure why but I'll think of something. Toyotas are made by people with funny looking eyes so they're out. Same for Nissan. German cars; well, I'm Jewish. I guess I'll have to walk.

But where can I get shoes made by someone whose politics and religion and honesty are acceptable to me? Oh Diogenes, please guide me!

Or I guess I could just decide to ignore all that and have a good life instead.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #363
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Wow! I sure have to agree with that! No Nook! And I can't pay Kobo for creating a reader that's buggy! And I can't pay Amazon for creating a reader that doesn't have a built-in inflatable recliner. And I sure don't want one that's not supported in the USA so I can't get one of the off-brand readers.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #364
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Your relentless criticism and negativity are not helping. If you have no interest in buying or using this device, then why waste your time (and ours) continually tearing it down?
While I make fun of Wolfe as much as anyone, maybe more, I think this is a bit unfair. yeah he's repetitive and opinionated but he's fun and he's not a bad guy. Also he knows a lot about this stuff.

For a lot of years I was in a book related chat room that he also frequented and he had a way of getting discussions started and keeping things interesting. And I learned a lot of what little I know about book formats from him. He always went out of his way to help people who needed it in that chat room, when he wasn't too busy arguing with me.

Personally I'm glad he's here. I'm not always glad, but I am a lot.

Barry (aka Really)
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #365
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
File format is irrelevant, I think. I buy my books from Amazon and convert them to epub, easy peasy. If you are sideloading, you can convert your epub to the appropriate Kindle format with Calibre. If you aren't sideloading, you can't edit the book anyway.

Both devices have locked down OSes. The only difference is that the Kindle allows you to sideload to your heart's content and the Nook is partitioned.

Understand, I prefer Nooks to Kindles. I think from the hardware standpoint, Barnes and Noble have usually been ahead of Amazon. But when comparing the two, be honest.
I imagine unlocking the DRM to be able to do that though is tedious to say the least. Also, after so many years, I have little interest in converting all my files to mobi
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #366
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I imagine unlocking the DRM to be able to do that though is tedious to say the least. Also, after so many years, I have little interest in converting all my files to mobi
You imagine wrong Anyway, the second part, I totally understand it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #367
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Since I don't sideload anymore it wouldn't be an issue for me. Barnes and Noble pretty much has everything I would ever want to read. I only load books by wifi now. I rarely even get on my computer anymore just my smartphone for internet access. So no big deal to me. Have books on an old Nook Account as well as my Amazon account. If I was in the market for a new reader I would buy the Nook no question.

Last edited by Tony1988; 11-20-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 AM   #368
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't quite understand the complaining over the side loading limit. This is a BN device, you should be happy they give you any space for side loading at all. This is still more open than an Amazon device since it reads epubs and you aren't stuck with mobi.
Turn that around and argue that the Amazon device is more open since it reads mobi and you are stuck with epub. Ridiculous either way. And then we have calibre (and Apprentice Alf) which lets us convert formats as needed.

Quote:
I side load a lot of content, and the 1 gig isn't going to be a problem for me. Hell, having half of that on my ST was never a problem. The device just isn't going to keep up trying to index over a gig of books. Heh, when my friend stuck a 4 gig SD card full of books into his ST, the OS crapped itself. I ended up just using the SD card I bought for my Nook ST for something else, so lack of a microSD on the 3 doesn't mean anything to me either.
Your usage pattern might not match others. For me, if I can't stuff at least a dozen foodie books on an ereader, it's not worth buying.

Quote:
edit: Also, I don't understand what kinda lunatic tries to read PDFs on an e-ink device. I use a full size, mid-range Samsung tablet for that.
An iPad Pro works well for me but my pdfs are tech manuals. I keep them on my KA1 as well since if I don't have my iPad or laptop with me, the KA1 is usable -- not enjoyable -- just usable. Though at times, I wonder about some companies -- I have one manual that is formatted for tabloid/A3 size paper which is great for the printed diagrams but damn useless on any screen display unless you really enjoy scrolling and squinting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #369
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would like to know if the new Nook always shows header and footer even with sideloaded epubs or is there a way to remove them?

I rather like the shape of the device, but this header-footer thing is a potential dealbreaker. So much wasted space.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #370
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I would like to know if the new Nook always shows header and footer even with sideloaded epubs or is there a way to remove them?

I rather like the shape of the device, but this header-footer thing is a potential dealbreaker. So much wasted space.
So far the Glowlight 3 shows title at top and page number at bottom in all the books I've used, either downloaded or side loaded. There is no obvious setting to allow you to choose not to display them. It would be a nice option to add; hopefully B&N will continue to update the software.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #371
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
While I make fun of Wolfe as much as anyone, maybe more, I think this is a bit unfair. yeah he's repetitive and opinionated but he's fun and he's not a bad guy.
Barry (aka Really)
Thanks, Barry. Lacking your previous experiences, I'll take your word for it.

But I've learned my lesson. Sometimes it isn't worth trying.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #372
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I imagine unlocking the DRM to be able to do that though is tedious to say the least.
Time to re-imagine. Removing the DRM is as easy to do from an Amazon book as it is from a B&N book.

Quote:
Also, after so many years, I have little interest in converting all my files to mobi
I can't fault you there. But with Calibre, I use a plug in that converts my ePub to Kepub automagically when I send the books to my Kobo. They show up on the Kobo as Kepubs, while on my PC they are still ePub.

I'd assume there is a similar plug-in for Kindle.

I'm not trying to push you away from B&N and Nook. Just trying to be fair to both devices.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #373
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Time to re-imagine. Removing the DRM is as easy to do from an Amazon book as it is from a B&N book.
LOL, I assumed it was just as easy/difficult. I tried stripping the DRM years ago with a Calibre plugin and it was frustrating to say the least. It worked, but it was a PITA heh

Quote:
I'm not trying to push you away from B&N and Nook. Just trying to be fair to both devices.
Oh no, I understand.
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #374
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What is the best front light in the business and how did you reach your conclusion?
I didn't say it was poor or not good. To be the best, it has to be better then every other front light and it's not. I don't think there is the best.

Quote:
Kobo has better software, but the Glowlight 3 outclasses the Aura Edition 2 in every way. While I like the Kobo software, I'd give it up today for the Glowlight 3 if they hadn't so severely partitioned the memory.
So the nG3's partitioned memory is better then the Aura2's non-partitioned memory?

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #375
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
So far the Glowlight 3 shows title at top and page number at bottom in all the books I've used, either downloaded or side loaded. There is no obvious setting to allow you to choose not to display them. It would be a nice option to add; hopefully B&N will continue to update the software.
Thank you.

That's disappointing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote