Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2022, 03:23 AM   #1
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Kobo Clara 2E Pre-release discussions

I was bored and so i checked FCC filing from Netronix/Kobo and found that their filings are all here in this page: https://fccid.io/NOI

So you would see their previous ereaders there together with photos of internals and externals as well as various documentation and testing profiles.

What i noticed is that after the Sage (N778/N778K) filing, which is curiously updated with December 7, 2021 date (the sage was released on October 2021), there is a June 6, 2022 filing for model number N506 (NOIKBN506). label info here: https://fccid.io/NOIKBN506/Label/Label-Info-5917052

I was trying to look for the external photos and internal photos but unluckily, the date stated for the photos is November 30, 2022 as per https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/NOIKBN506 and https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=NOIKBN506

The current Clara's model number is N249

Or could this be the next Nia? Current Nia model is N306.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 08-14-2022 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Confirmed Kobo will release the Clara 2E
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any way to tell what size the screen is? I'm hoping it's not another 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #3
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The screen size was one of the first things I looked for but unfortunately the external photos would be the reference for that.

I like a 6-inch screen and i am actually hoping that kobo would release an e-ink carta 1200 in the Clara HD form. I like a smaller ereader when commuting, then a bigger screen when reading at home.

This device will have 5G connectivity

Internal and external photos are still under request for confidentiality : https://fccid.io/NOIKBN506/Letter/Co...Letter-5917085

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 07-20-2022 at 03:45 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The screen size was one of the first things I looked for but unfortunately the external photos would be the reference for that.

I like a 6-inch screen and i am actually hoping that kobo would release an e-ink carta 1200 in the Clara HD form. I like a smaller ereader when commuting, then a bigger screen when reading at home.

Internal and external photos are still under request for confidentiality : https://fccid.io/NOIKBN506/Letter/Co...Letter-5917085
I just hope 5G mes WiFi and not cell. 5G cell just means more expensive for no real use.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If they replace the Clara with a larger screen, they could be in the same boat Kindle is in. Why buy the more premium Oasis when the Paperwhite is so good?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...i am actually hoping that kobo would release an e-ink carta 1200 in the Clara HD form. I like a smaller ereader when commuting, then a bigger screen when reading at home.
Add waterproofing to the Clara and I'd buy it.

I don't care at all about 5G, but that is enough to hazard a guess it isn't a Nia replacement. Why add a new feature to the cheapest reader?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I just hope 5G mes WiFi and not cell. 5G cell just means more expensive for no real use.
Considering the RF report shows both 2.4G and 5G WiFi and no cellular information? I think betting on 5G being WiFi is a safe bet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering the RF report shows both 2.4G and 5G WiFi and no cellular information? I think betting on 5G being WiFi is a safe bet.
Quote:
When that is said about 5G, that means a 5G cellular connection. Should have been said WiFi instead of connectivity.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
When that is said about 5G, that means a 5G cellular connection. Should have been said WiFi instead of connectivity.
Sorry, Jon, but you're wrong. 5G could mean 5G mobile network or 5G Wifi network (it's called Wifi+ sometimes, as the standard Wifi uses 2.4GHz band and this one uses 5GHz band, faster).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry, Jon, but you're wrong. 5G could mean 5G mobile network or 5G Wifi network (it's called Wifi+ sometimes, as the standard Wifi uses 2.4GHz band and this one uses 5GHz band, faster).
I've not heard of 5G Wifi referred to as Wifi+. 5G is WiFi or cellular. So it really does need to be clarified so we know which it is.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There is also 5th Generation WiFi.
The 5 GHz Band WiFi is only sometimes faster and at any distance it's slower or doesn't work. It's been around for a long time. Certainly 3rd gen WiFi if not 2nd.
The fastest WiFi protocols achieve the speed by using the entire band rather than one channel. They also go faster if signal is better, maybe even 200 Mbps on 2.4GHz.
the 2.4G covers the house and garden. The 5G band WiFi really only for open plan or one room unless you have flimsy walls and doors for the 5.8 GHZ.

5G Mobile isn't faster than even 3G in rural or built up areas, the main use is stadiums, racecources etc on the higher line of sight bands.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-20-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yeah, it's 5GHz wifi, not 5G cell connectivity. It even has the WiFi 5GHz logo, lol.

I wouldn't mind an updated 6 inch device with the new Carta screen and Bluetooth (which it also has according to the filing). Or maybe color eInk. But replaceable SD card is a must for me.

Last edited by rtiangha; 07-21-2022 at 09:15 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:35 AM   #13
Geared
Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Clara 2E
https://www.pchc.ch/de/Audio---TV---...U-OB-K-EP.html
https://www.itnest.com.au/hardware/d...506-ku-ob-k-ep
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It looks like me new ereader is on its way
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
It looks like me new ereader is on its way
If it has physical buttons, it MIGHT tempt me as a café reader, but if not, 6 inches is just too small for me nowadays.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote