Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not to mention, if the publisher wants to use two columns then they can code for it using media requests and such.... If noone uses multi-columns because ADE doesnt support it, then ADE will never support it because noone uses it...circular logic at it's best!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Not to mention, if the publisher wants to use two columns then they can code for it using media requests and such.... If noone uses multi-columns because ADE doesnt support it, then ADE will never support it because noone uses it...circular logic at it's best!
Given that from the BPHs, most Kindle eBooks start off as ePub as the source format, I don't think using webkit columns will happen. Also, given that you cannot do webkit columns in Mobi, that's not going to happen in KF8. The problem is is that KF8 is hampered by Mobi. Amazon really should allow KF8 only eBooks to be sold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that from the BPHs, most Kindle eBooks start off as ePub as the source format, I don't think using webkit columns will happen. Also, given that you cannot do webkit columns in Mobi, that's not going to happen in KF8. The problem is is that KF8 is hampered by Mobi. Amazon really should allow KF8 only eBooks to be sold.
Easily fixed using media queries:

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
    /* CSS for KF8 devices */
}

@media amzn-mobi7 {
    /* CSS for Mobi7 devices */
}
It really doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing Jon.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
I am one of these lucky guys who don't need to work ... for dirty money. I do that just for fun. As unfree issues generally and more particularly all AMAZON stuff conflicts with my concept of liberty, my ePubs will be not designed with regard to funcionality on a Kindle.

My books will run on .epub readers, like my Tolino Vision 3HD.

AMAZON & Microsilly
Spoiler:
It seems to be rather unknown in the world, but I can say you, Tolino is a very fine product. Metaphorically speaking: Mayority drives VOLKSWAGEN, the 'happy few' go by MERCEDES. BTW, I got such one!

As you know, sometimes big, powerful companies occupy markets, regardless the quality of their products, e.g. Microsilly.

Probably I will present the finished ePub to some friendly gents - with the notice:

Fully operational on .epub readers!

Last edited by chaot; 03-22-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: add: [COLOR="Cyan"] & a red point, few happy→'happy few', add: vision
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #20
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Quote:
Given that from the BPHs ...
BPH?
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #21
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post

My books will run on .epub readers, like my Tolino 3HD.
Tolino 3HD? Then you have a posibility to get a two columns layout whose text flows from one column to another. Tolino has Android 4.0.4 as OS then you could install Gitden as ebook reader and read your epub there. Gitden supports epub3 and with epub3 you can have multicolumn layouts. CSS3 has the following properties for you to work with columns:

column-count
column-gap
column-rule-style
column-rule-width
column-rule-color
column-rule
column-span
column-width

So, if the ebook you are building is for you, IMHO you could get what you want.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks for your solution. I have captured it for the wiki column so it won't drift away.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Easily fixed using media queries:

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
    /* CSS for KF8 devices */
}

@media amzn-mobi7 {
    /* CSS for Mobi7 devices */
}
It really doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing Jon.
In this case it does because there is no way to do the two columns in Mobi.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Big Publishing Houses.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
In this case it does because there is no way to do the two columns in Mobi.

....You can use one version of CSS for those devices that natively support multi-column....you would then use a separate version of CSS for those that need work-around-x....and even another version of CSS for those that need work-around-y...etc., etc., etc.

You can do ALL of that in an ePub. No need to say it is not possible because there are ____ (fill in the blank) devices that don't support a particular method.

If there is absolutely NO-WAY to do this in a mobi-format....OK...great....you can have some alternate styling for those mobi-devices...again...all in the same ePub.

I try to think outside of the box as much as possible...it makes everyone, including me, much happier when I come up with a solution instead of just saying it can't be done.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually it may be that the Mobi format supports a table solution.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
both the -e-readers apps that I use ( moon + , bookari, let me set 2 column landscape mode in the reader, and it reflows.

so does ADE on PC if I simply enlarge the window / shrink the font

and the kindle app on my fire tablet also has a 2 column feature.

so trying to enforce it in CSS seems kinda pointless ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #28
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I need it for an extensive ''personal register''.
As you see down left (Ascher, Leo) it continues top right (Asch, Schalom) - 14 pages all together.

Any idea to do the job the best possible way!?
Converting it into just one long list, just like you would with when converting an Index:

Code:
AAA, 1     EEE, 5
BBB, 2     FFF, 6
CCC, 3     GGG, 7
DDD, 4     HHH, 8
to:

Code:
AAA, 1
BBB, 2
CCC, 3
DDD, 4
EEE, 5
FFF, 6
GGG, 7
HHH, 8
In physical books, Indexes are typically two-column to condense the amount of pages... but in an ebook, that doesn't make much sense (you have infinite screens).

Quote:
....You can use one version of CSS for those devices that natively support multi-column....you would then use a separate version of CSS for those that need work-around-x....and even another version of CSS for those that need work-around-y...etc., etc., etc.
Hmmm... has anyone tested two-column text like this on a smaller device (cell phone) with larger font?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-23-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:14 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
what do you want to view it with

e.g. for ADE (2.0.1 ) on PC , reflowable 2 column is automatic, it is triggered by font and window size.

for (android) kindle app you just tick allow multiple columns etc....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
both the -e-readers apps that I use ( moon + , bookari, let me set 2 column landscape mode in the reader, and it reflows.

so does ADE on PC if I simply enlarge the window / shrink the font

and the kindle app on my fire tablet also has a 2 column feature.

so trying to enforce it in CSS seems kinda pointless ?
I think the issue is when you want to have just a section of the book show as multi-column - not the whole thing. eg When a character is reading a newspaper article.