Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 07-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #1
emale07
Enthusiast
emale07 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
scheduling on a mac

I just wanted to make sure that others were aware that you could schedule conversions in OS X.

I have found that as long as I leave the .ixl file open, the scheduling feature of iSiloX's properties will automatically convert at any given interval set by me.

Rather than have a full window open, I just "windowshade" the .ixl file and stick it down in the corner. iSiloX doesn't have to be the primary program running at the time of conversion as long as the file itself is open when it comes time.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thank you, Citizen!!

I wondered just how to get that to work. I'd set my scheduling on all my channels, but they didn't seem to work last time. Now I know to keep that iSiloX program open and all should be well.

I just tried it and can confirm that everything seems to be in order.

Another one bites the dust.
POL9A
Old 07-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
emale07
Enthusiast

Sweet! I'm glad it helped.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
JSRunnels
Enthusiast
JSRunnels has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung SPHI-300
Re: scheduling on a mac

Quote:
Originally posted by emale07
Rather than have a full window open, I just "windowshade" the .ixl file and stick it down in the corner. iSiloX doesn't have to be the primary program running at the time of conversion as long as the file itself is open when it comes time.
Another option is to put the isilo program in the startup group, (System Preferences --> Login Items) and check the Hide box. That way when you boot up your computer, isilox start automatically and hides itself so you don't have to look at/resize/reposition it. As long as you have the "Open the previous list at startup" box checked in isilox --> tools --> options, your .ixl file is open and waiting to download and convert on schedule! Theoretically, I will never deal with isilox again unless I want to add/change a document.

The only thing I don't know yet is what happens if you boot up AFTER a scheduled conversion time -- do you have to wait for the clock to roll around to 7 am again or does isilox recognize that it missed a scheduled conversion and do it right away? Also don't know what isilox does if your computer is "sleeping" at a scheduled conversion time...

Either way, it is a nice way to automate a bit more of the process...

Hope this helps someone out there!
Old 07-19-2003, 02:41 AM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Re: Re: scheduling on a mac

Quote:
Originally posted by JSRunnels
The only thing I don't know yet is what happens if you boot up AFTER a scheduled conversion time -- do you have to wait for the clock to roll around to 7 am again or does isilox recognize that it missed a scheduled conversion and do it right away? Also don't know what isilox does if your computer is "sleeping" at a scheduled conversion time...
When one boots up after a scheduled time, a pop-up window alerts that "You have a scheduled conversion pending" (or some such language) with a 30 sec. countdown to starting the conversions. Also there are radio buttons that will let you start the conversions immediately or cancel should you so desire.

I think the computer "wakes up" if it'd been sleeping to go ahead with the scheduled tasks.

Quote:
Originally posted by JSRunnels
Another option is to put the isilo program in the startup group, (System Preferences --> Login Items) and check the Hide box. That way when you boot up your computer, isilox start automatically and hides itself so you don't have to look at/resize/reposition it. As long as you have the "Open the previous list at startup" box checked in isilox --> tools --> options, your .ixl file is open and waiting to download and convert on schedule! Theoretically, I will never deal with isilox again unless I want to add/change a document.
What I do is I open the .ixl at night before I go to sleep and hide the iSiloX application in the background. I freelance for a living, so there are times when I have to be up and out mighty early, so I have my conversions set for 5:00am, that way (unless it's an exceedlingly early call) my conversions are completed by the time I'm ready to transfer them to my handheld. I have about 30 channels of various sizes that I convert daily, and I'd hate to wake up even earlier to start those conversions when I could be squeezing out an additional 20 minutes of lovely sleep rather that waiting around staring at the progress bar bleary-eyed. (I use a card reader, BTW, for speed's sake.)

But, JSRunnels, I may incorporate your "Start at wakeup" method and just set my iMac to boot at 4:45am or something because I'm kinda sketched about leaving my computer on all night. Security issues and hard drive wear-and-tear issues. That way everything works out all super-special like. The main reason I leave the computer on is because the iPod will only charge when the computer is on (and "awake".) It would be a slight inconvenience to unplug the FireWire cable from here to there to charge from the wall AC outlet and then to sync with the Mac. But if you guys think it's worth it to keep the computer off all night in terms of my couple of issues, then I might invest in a seperate and dedicates charging cable for the iPod. So give me your opinions, please.

Still, it's great that we have our different methods to achieving our wondrous results.

Esplendido.
POL9A
Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 AM   #6
JSRunnels
Enthusiast
JSRunnels has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Samsung SPHI-300
At least this morning, the computer did not wake up to do the conversions, but as soon as I got on the computer, it happily began the conversions. So, I think now all I have to do is set my computer to wake up slightly before my conversion time, load syncer 1.2 and then it will be totally automated. -- just grab my handheld on the way out the door and go!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
emale07
Enthusiast

Actually, turning the mac on and off is generally not the best idea as it inflects more wear and tear to the machine. Depending on what iMac you have, you may need to simply put it to sleep because of the heat. I have a flat screen iMac and a friend of mine has one of the indigo iMacs, and he says he needs to put his to sleep if he's not going to be on it for any significant amount of time while I can leave mine on for at least 2-3 weeks before performance is affected and I need to re-boot.

Regardless, if you put iSilo in the startup group, and have the schedule set in the program itself, I wouldn't think that it should affect the outcome one bit.

I'll test it and get back - you all do the same.

emale