Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Coby MP4 w/txt

I recently received a Coby 725 MP4 player which can display ebooks in txt format.

However, (1) the software for syncing music and photos does not included the txt syncing. I can use Win explorer to put the files there and as long as the files are not too large I usually can get it to work.

(2) There is a choice of protocols for MTP and MSC which I just read up on in Wikipedia. One statement said that MTP would only allow certain formats, i.e., MP3 WAV, and photo, but it did not mention txt.

Because I have the unit set for MTP protocol, is this why my txt files do not work properly? If so, what are the ramifications if I switch it to MSC. Will I get better response? It won't matter that if I have to reload, I'm still playing with the device.

My desire is to have the txt files display properly. Now, I put an entire book in there and it shows from 5 to 20 pages, instead of the 400 plus pages.

BTW, I found that if I save my word processing document as ASCII generic word processor w/o "returns" so that each paragraph continues as one long line in the txt reader, that the portable reader displays the paragraphs better.

Thanks for any help.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
MTP mode is pretty much for DRM'd audio, so if you don't use that, you can avoid it. It will look like a standard USB drive in MSC mode, and you can use whatever file manager you want, not the limited MTP software, which only sees some file types. (MSC mode is also a bit faster, some say.) Annoyingly, my Coby 305 often resets itself to MTP, and I have to keep resetting it to MSC to use with my file manager.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
MTP mode is pretty much for DRM'd audio, so if you don't use that, you can avoid it. It will look like a standard USB drive in MSC mode, and you can use whatever file manager you want, not the limited MTP software, which only sees some file types. (MSC mode is also a bit faster, some say.) Annoyingly, my Coby 305 often resets itself to MTP, and I have to keep resetting it to MSC to use with my file manager.
Thanks, that's good to know about DRM audio, I hardly ever use it. I'll change and see what happens.

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mp4, msc, mtp, txt