Old 08-18-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Zillion_
Enthusiast
Zillion_ began at the beginning.

Device: KindleOasis10thGen
KFX: reduce default body line height on Kindle

Hello,

I'm baffled by this issue.
Have been trying every trick I can think of to try to reduce the line height for the body of text in KFX files on Calibre.

Nothing works.
Well, some things seem to work in the Calibre Viewer, but the kindle overrides the line spacing for the body text to 1.2 (or to something that visually equates to the default 1.2 setting).

I've tried:
- setting line-height in CSS for Calibre, Body, and pagestyles
- using Extra CSS, including with "!important"

example:
Code:
.calibre {
  display: block;
  padding-left: 0;
  padding-right: 0;
  text-align: justify;
  margin: 0;
  text-indent: 0;
  font-size: 1em;
  margin-left: -1.0em !important;
  margin-right: -1.0em !important;
  line-height: 0.9 !important;
}
.Body {
  display: block;
  text-align: justify;
  text-indent: 0;
  margin-top: 0.3em;
  margin-bottom: 0.3em;
  font-size: 1em;
  line-height: 0.9 !important;
}

- using CSS Transforms
- setting min line height in % in "Look & Feel"
- setting line height fixed in pixels in "Look & Feel"

The only change I get is that the line spacing is reduced for e.g. headings or other kinds of paragraphs.
But never for the Body text.
I can change the line spacing for headings, titles etcs. But the body text, again, sometimes it seems to work in the Calibre viewer, but on the Kindle it doesn't change. Apart from the spacing between majors and minor headings, or the spacing above or below headings which does get reduced.

Somehow the Kindle overrides whatever I try.

Anybody got any idea ? Or should I just give up trying to change this (and I'd like to keep using KFX...)...

(if you wonder why I set negative left & right margins, that's to reduce the default page margins on Kindle, I find them way too big. I don't want to do that in my source EPUB file, so I do it in the KFX during conversion).
Zillion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KFX has a fixed line height. Even the font's metrics cannot reduce the line height. You can't reduce it. You can reduce the line height of KF8 if you use ChareInk6 or ChareInk6SP as the font to read with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The azw3 works a bit better, but still has close to minimum 1.2 (you can make it bigger in GUI) and stupidly large minimum margins (though having a default -1.5% helps that).

Really the problem is Amazon. Also it's best to set no line-height for it to be adjustable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The azw3 works a bit better, but still has close to minimum 1.2 (you can make it bigger in GUI) and stupidly large minimum margins (though having a default -1.5% helps that).

Really the problem is Amazon. Also it's best to set no line-height for it to be adjustable.
The only way I know of to adjust the line height is to use KF8 and use ChareInk6SP or ChareInk6 as the font. It's metadata allows a reduction in line height. But KFX forces a fixed line height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote