Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
montevino
montevino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
How Much Ghosting is Normal

Did some searches, didn't find a definitive answer, so:

I'm new to the eReader world. Wife bought me a PRS-500 on eBay, and while I'm sending it in tomorrow for the firmware upgrade, I noticed that after a page turn, you can see the previous page faded in the background. I can see that some amount of it is normal, but how can I tell if I got a bad unit, or if it's pretty typical? Is it something you get used to and don't even notice after a couple of days?

Thanks!
montevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevino View Post
I'm new to the eReader world. Wife bought me a PRS-500 on eBay, and while I'm sending it in tomorrow for the firmware upgrade, I noticed that after a page turn, you can see the previous page faded in the background. I can see that some amount of it is normal, but how can I tell if I got a bad unit, or if it's pretty typical? Is it something you get used to and don't even notice after a couple of days?
I have no experience with a 500, but I have never noticed any ghosting on my 505. It seems to be more of an issue with older tech ereaders you can read more threads on ghosting here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
I notice a bit of ghosting on my PRS-600, especially if going to a mostly blank page. It is unnoticeable to me when reading, though, since the text pages are "busier" than large expanses of black or white.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first generation eInk screens, which the PRS-500 has, suffered considerably from ghosting. The 2nd gen screens, which all current devices have, are drastically less subject to this. I'm afraid, though, that with a PRS-500, a certain amount of ghosting is normal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have a 600, too. Some ghosting is visible, especially when I don't have a complete page refresh (happens when zooming and panning in pdfs).
I think I haven't had that on my 505 though.
But as stated above, on none of my readers it has been an issue for me.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ghosting is an issue which varies from Reader to Reader. The elements are made in bacthes and have a corresponding batch number called a LUT (Look Up Table) file. They determine the refresh rate of the element ... unfortunately now and again some Readers don't refresh as well as they should causing your anomaly. The only solution I have come across is to load an alternative LUT file into the EEPROM - but this needs to be done a Sony Service Centre I'm afraid (unless you know a Sony chappie that has access to the files and the knowledge to do it!?).
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote