Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
May be a silly question...but...

Can Sony readers (specifically the 505) read ebooks purchased from Barnes and Noble? I know they're epub but I'm unclear on how many flavors of epub actually exist...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Can Sony readers (specifically the 505) read ebooks purchased from Barnes and Noble? I know they're epub but I'm unclear on how many flavors of epub actually exist...
Actually, unless they've changed really recently, B&N books are still eReader files, not ePub (they will be changing, but I don't think they have yet).

Once B&N goes ePub their books will only be readable on the Nook or in their reader software at least until other manufacturers upgrade the software on their devices to accommodate the new form of DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Aii-yii-yii-yii so confusing.

Thanks. So at this point we're down to buying from Amazon, or B&N, or *everyone else* including Sony depending on our brand of reader.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Brian, just to clarify, are you saying that the B&N epubs will have a DRM that's different from the Adept epub DRM? If this is widely known, I apologize for the question. I haven't been keeping up, apparently.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Brian, just to clarify, are you saying that the B&N epubs will have a DRM that's different from the Adept epub DRM? If this is widely known, I apologize for the question. I haven't been keeping up, apparently.
They'll have a form of Adobe DRM, but it will be based on a username/password like eReader DRM is. See...
http://blogs.adobe.com/billmccoy/200...and-barne.html
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64822
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Oh, boy. What fun. Thanks for the info, Brian.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote