Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #151
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For me the option to install Avast is in plain sight, been so for several releases.

I don't let CC, or anything else, auto-download let alone auto-update, so I can't vouch for what happens in that scenario.

Attachment 161728

BR
I didn't have that on the setup I used. There was no picture or software or option at the corner. Very odd.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Avast and Avira don't play nice together. So when CCleaner installed Avast It killed my Windows. I tried to fix it but it was a lost caused. I've done a reset with keep files so far so good I have alot of installing to do.

By the way the new Avira isn't ready for real time. It's super buggy I'd advise staying away from the 2018 version for now.
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #153
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Why do you keep jacking around with free firewalls and virus scanners? They're all crap.

If you have Windows 10, just go with Windows Defender and the built-in firewall. Nowadays, they're more than adequate assuming you're not visiting the deep and rotted cesspools on the internet trying to pirate software or games.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #154
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why do you keep jacking around with free firewalls and virus scanners? They're all crap.

If you have Windows 10, just go with Windows Defender and the built-in firewall. Nowadays, they're more than adequate assuming you're not visiting the deep and rotted cesspools on the internet trying to pirate software or games.
to that a 100 times over.

The same for Windows 7, and even Vista after SP?.

On my rig Defender found the malware that infected CC Cleaner last year about the time Avast bought it - at the time none of the scanners at Virus Total found it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #155
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

Because the Windows firewall was causing my excess CPU usage. That's why. I had everything fixed with a third party Firewall till Avast installed itself in stealth. Then kaplow system corrupted. You're not supposed to install two antivirus together but seeing Windows Defender service was down the system doesn't see another AV installed because the security panel only reports if Windows Defender service is running but seeing Creator update turned it into a yo-yo there's nothing I could do.

All that said no high CPU usage after the reset. Well Windows Defender is still thrashing but it should settle down one search indexing finishes in a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 01-22-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
For tools such as these, I always use the Portable version. Unzip, run, done.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Thanks I'm only going to use the portable from now on.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #157
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
For tools such as these, I always use the Portable version. Unzip, run, done.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Thank you, I'm interested on it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #158
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another one I use as a portable tool for the occasional CD is CDBurnerXP. It also comes with crapware (but it does have an installer without it).

https://cdburnerxp.se/nl/download

(Click the More Download Options link to see the portable version.)

I always use portable versions for programs that I don't use daily, because often they run way behind with regard to updates when I do use them. In that case, I just get the config file out of the folder (if any), swap the folders, and copy the configuration back.

Ah... the good old DOS way of working with software :P
Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #159
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I can strongly recommend the tool 'Unchecky'. It will ensure that a lot of malware packed in the installers will actually not be installed by ensuring the checkboxes that ask your permission to install (usually hidden...) are unchecked.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #160
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I can strongly recommend not to use any installers that come with crap.

If software _only_ comes with craploaded installers with no other options for installation, I won't use it, not even when the crap can be unchecked.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #161
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Avast and Avira don't play nice together. So when CCleaner installed Avast It killed my Windows. I tried to fix it but it was a lost caused. I've done a reset with keep files so far so good I have alot of installing to do.
Generally speaking, third party A/V solutions don't play nice together. They tend to step on each other's toes and get in each other's way. You can use one along with Windows Defender, but pick one.

Quote:
By the way the new Avira isn't ready for real time. It's super buggy I'd advise staying away from the 2018 version for now.
I stay away from all of them, and find Windows Defender perfectly adequate, but I don't have a shared machine I must safeguard against less knowledgeable users.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #162
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can strongly recommend not to use any installers that come with crap.

If software _only_ comes with craploaded installers with no other options for installation, I won't use it, not even when the crap can be unchecked.
The problem is that many installers come with crapware. For instance, I get a lot of open source software. The software is free, but there is an effort called Open Candy that provides sponsored third-party software that can be included with the open source software. The developers who write the open source software get a cut of the revenue provided by the sponsored efforts, and can actually get paid a bit for their efforts.

I think I've seen one open source installer with bundled crapware that couldn't be declined in the installation. That got a nastygram to the open source outfit, with a recommendation that they check what will be bundled in their installer and not include something that can't be declined.

For the rest, it's a matter of running the installer, and unchecking the offer to install the crapware before proceeding, which is the work of about 5 seconds. I have no problem with the developers of open source software actually getting paid a bit for their efforts, so I don't mind a bit.
______
Dennis
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #163
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Because the Windows firewall was causing my excess CPU usage. That's why. I had everything fixed with a third party Firewall till Avast installed itself in stealth. Then kaplow system corrupted. You're not supposed to install two antivirus together but seeing Windows Defender service was down the system doesn't see another AV installed because the security panel only reports if Windows Defender service is running but seeing Creator update turned it into a yo-yo there's nothing I could do.
I'm somewhat astonished.

I never saw high CPU usage with Windows Firewall, on any versions of Windows. I can't help suspecting Windows Firewall wasn't the real underlying problem, but have no idea what the true issue might have been.

Quote:
All that said no high CPU usage after the reset. Well Windows Defender is still thrashing but it should settle down one search indexing finishes in a few days.
If it must rebuild its indexes, that may take a bit.
_______
Dennis
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #164
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'm somewhat astonished.

I never saw high CPU usage with Windows Firewall, on any versions of Windows. I can't help suspecting Windows Firewall wasn't the real underlying problem, but have no idea what the true issue might have been.

If it must rebuild its indexes, that may take a bit.
_______
Dennis
It's fine now I reset Windows but something was causing issues. Others have reported the ICS service to blame. I suspect these are people who like me have done upgrade upon upgrade,upon upgrade. I started with Win 8.0 so you can see how after many years things might not be updated correctly. I was so happy to find I could reset it and not lose my files plus no Samsung bloatware, No Intel raid manager. It's like having a new PC. My task scheduler is empty of third party tasks.

The only thing is my fn brightness keys don't work. I need to find a fix. All other fn keys work though. Intel 4000 Graphics so it's a known issue but no given fixes work.

I got my security lockdown thanks to some old friends from the old security forum I use to volunteer at. All light on the resources so I'm very happy.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #165
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I just wanted to jump in to add my ***YES*** to portable software. More than 95% of my software is portable, since at least 2005. So I can sit down at any computer anywhere, and do my work and play, using my portable drive.

Two highly recommended sites:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/ --- This one is very useful, with install and usage notes / instructions, and customer feedback comments.

https://portableapps.com/

I must move from Win8 to a new Win10 laptop in the next few days, and hoping that goes smoothly. I have never had contact yet with Win10 -- our (government entity) office is still using Win7.

Any gotcha's I should be watching for?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote