Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Kindle Paperwhite Home Screen books Covers are too small

Hi,

As you see in the attached image, All books which I converted from ePub to Azw3 by Calibre shows up smaller than Amazon Store original books and with the bottom word "Personal". If I convert these books from ePub to Mobi then it will show up just like Amazon books cover size.

Any idea how can I make them all the same size "big"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_28T18_28_27+0259.png
Views:	890
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	100220  

Last edited by alfarhan; 01-28-2013 at 10:46 AM.
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Umm... which attached image? (edit: ok, I see it's there now)

Anyway, you may want to give this calibre plugin a try.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Oops, i just uploaded the attachment. I'll give it a try but i think it has something to do with telling Kindle this is a "Personal" Document i guess? that's why it Kindle resize the covers to a smaller size?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I don't think so, but I'm not a calibre expert in any way. To me it looks like the conversion to .azw3 simply uses a "wrong" cover size, while the conversion to .mobi uses a "correct" one - but I may well be wrong.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This was fixed in Calibre a good while ago. Re-convert your books with a recent Calibre version. (Delete them from your device first).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
alfarhan
Enthusiast

I have the latest version of Calibre. Nothing changed.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This was fixed in Calibre a good while ago. Re-convert your books with a recent Calibre version. (Delete them from your device first).
Also, make sure you're using Calibre's "Send To Device" via USB, not anything else (Send To Kindle, e-mail, whatever).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's still not fixed, and I'm using 0.9.31 (released today, 17 May 2013). Converted AZW3 files using Send To Device > Main Memory via USB still show a very small thumbnail cover
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
your device says "Kindle" any advances on that?

Like a Kindle 4 basic?

or a kindle PW?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a PW. If I rename the AZW3 file to .mobi and put it on my PW, the cover becomes full size (the book won't open, mind you, but the cover is full size). If I rename it back to AZW3, the cover is small again.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I have a PW. If I rename the AZW3 file to .mobi and put it on my PW, the cover becomes full size (the book won't open, mind you, but the cover is full size). If I rename it back to AZW3, the cover is small again.
And your question is ?

http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/

Have you tried renaming the system32 directory on your Windows install? What happened? See any connection with what you did here?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm.. it's a puzzler for sure.

possibly then there are some specific DPI requirements of the AZW3 files... I honestly hadn't noticed this behaviour myself..

Do you have any metrics for the "sizes" of the cover files out of - say - calibre?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
2cukica4
2cukica4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarhan View Post
Hi,

As you see in the attached image, All books which I converted from ePub to Azw3 by Calibre shows up smaller than Amazon Store original books and with the bottom word "Personal". If I convert these books from ePub to Mobi then it will show up just like Amazon books cover size.

Any idea how can I make them all the same size "big"?
You should use "Resize Cover" plugin in Calibre with default settings before conversion...
2cukica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes use the resize plugin as 2cukica4 said and set a custom size of 758x1024 click required book and then click the plugin, Then simply convert the book in Calibre to embed the cover.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
alfarhan
Enthusiast

Even with the "Resize Cover" Plugin, nothing changes. See the attached screenshot please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_05_19T20_28_19+0800.png
Views:	4119
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	106015