Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
tartag
tartag began at the beginning.

Device: none
Robots!

Hey all, searched the forum and didn't find anything. If i leave Calibre running so that I can access the content server, does the url run the risk of getting indexed by a search engine bot? wasnt sure if there is a robots.txt or anything..?
Cheers.
tartag
tartag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As long as you dont put links up to your content server on the public internet, how would a search engine even know your server exists? And if you are amking your server available over the public internet you really should protect it with a password, in which case a spider would not be able to index it, even if it knew of its existence.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
phiscribe
phiscribe began at the beginning.

Device: Next7P12-8G
I didn't put a link to my server anywhere and I am getting crawled.

The only way I can think it got out was I am using a free dns service, https://duckdns.org/.

That or Google is sucking stuff out of my email.

A robots.txt with User-agent: * Disallow: / would be nice.

I guess I can try a password.
phiscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
phiscribe

I added <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Hopefully that will do it.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You really should not expose the server via the public internet without a password. You could get in trouble if you are hosting any copyrighted work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Even if you are hosting only public domain works if your server gets a lot of traffice it could get you into trouble with your ISP if your TOS prohibits running servers. A small group of friends with the password normally won't generate enough traffic to draw the attention of your ISP.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
phiscribe

I just added a password. I am very suspicious of google plundering my email. That or the duckdns passing along stuff to search providers. Maybe my ISP is up to something.

I only emailed my daughters the address. Not sure how the search providers got involved. Opening it just made it so they could get in through their phone.

It was showing

+http://www.alexa.com/site/help/webmasters; crawler@alexa.com
IPv4Scan (+http://ipv4scan.com

Anyway, password up. Thanks