Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've been considering purchasing the NIV version in Palm format. But, I'd like to know if it will convert properly with the TOC? I've used ABC Palm Converter to successfully convert PalmDocs before but, there were no TOCs involved then.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
pcinfoman
Enthusiast
pcinfoman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
For some strange reason it crashes my reader when I try to change the font size - I'd like to look into that to find out why as well.
I am having the same problem. Now that it is set at the size that crashes the Reader, I cannot resize it anymore or navigate pages. I have to delete it.

In addition, it shows up on my Reader with a title of "bible" and no author. Can we modify this to give it a title of "Bible" and an author of "World English Version" please?
pcinfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This book has a bit over 6000 pages at size small. So it could be that changing the font size just takes a good long time. How long have you given it to change the font size?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This book has a bit over 6000 pages at size small. So it could be that changing the font size just takes a good long time. How long have you given it to change the font size?
I let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Were the arrows moving in a circle?
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

No. when I resized, it flashed the screen and then nothing. I was able to go to the main Sony Reader menu, but whenever I loaded the book, it just hung.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Problem is, I cannot tell what was used to create this. It wasn't Book Designer. I would like the OP to please tell us how this was created. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Hi Guys,

Have completed a BBeB version of the World English Bible.

The bookname -> chapter number menu works ok, but I am not totally happy with it - navigating to Deut book 20 for example takes 5 million clicks. I have an idea on how to improve it, and will hopefully have a version 2 up soon. Try it out, and let me know if there are any broken chapters/links!

Any comments on how to improve the navigation system might help my fine tune V2.

Enjoy!
Elf
How did you create the LRF version? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #24
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcinfoman View Post
No. when I resized, it flashed the screen and then nothing. I was able to go to the main Sony Reader menu, but whenever I loaded the book, it just hung.
I tried making an LRF version of the New American Bible. It was a huge file. I had to let it format overnight. It was way too slow to be of any use. Might be the same problem.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #25
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Isn't there a font selection on the Connect software?
No there's no font selection that I can find anyway. If I've missed something let me know
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I tried making an LRF version of the New American Bible. It was a huge file. I had to let it format overnight. It was way too slow to be of any use. Might be the same problem.
It seems to be something other than the size of a book that makes ot format slowly as I have a bible version that formats quite quickly. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the font you select when you create the book in the first place.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
It seems to be something other than the size of a book that makes ot format slowly as I have a bible version that formats quite quickly. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the font you select when you create the book in the first place.
Did you install this on a memory card or the reader's internal memory? I think if it's on a memory card, the reader may have to do some of the formatting unlike internally where Connect does it for you.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #28
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
I see a NIV has been published at Sony. Two questions:

1. When someone buys it, what are your thoughts on the formatting?

2. What are people's thoughts on the accuracy of WEV vs. NIV vs. KJV? I'm not very familiar with new (post-Renaissance) translations.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll take a shot at this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
2. What are people's thoughts on the accuracy of WEV vs. NIV vs. KJV?
Please forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

The WEB is an "updating" of the language in the ASV (American Standard Version -- you can find the source site here). The drawback to the KJV is that its also a language update of a previous translation, rather than a direct translation. In fact, the KJV is several layers of language updates away from its original translation. The reason that's a drawback is that it allows multiple opportunities for mis-translation.

The New KJV (NKJV) on the other hand, is a direct translation from the original source texts, but preserves the 'thee and thou' feel of the KJV, which a lot of folks like both because it tends to flow nicely, and because it's familiar to them.

The NIV is another direct translation, it is a conceptual translation (I think the NKJV is too, but I'm not sure of that). By that I mean they translate each sentence rather than each word. It also flows pretty well, though, arguably, not as nicely as the NKJV.

The New American Standard (NASB -- I know you didn't ask about it, but I'll be as thorough as I have information for, don't worry, this is about the last of it), is also a direct translation, but it is a word by word translation, rather than a sentence by sentence. This means that it doesn't flow as well, but it arguably is a more technically accurate translation.

Personally, I like the NIV and the NASB for my own purposes, with the NASB being my current "main" translation. The NKJV is just as good a translation, in my opinion, as either of those (I just happen to prefer the others), but I try to stay away from indirect translations, like the KJV.

The least useful, for my purposes, are the 'paraphrase' translations such as the "Living Bible" or the "Good News Bible," they tend to eliminate all but the most brutally obvious meaning of a given passage, losing any nuance that was in the original text. That can be useful if you've got a passage that you just can't make heads nor tails of, but that's about the extent of it, to my thinking. I tend to lump translations like those under the SGV label -- "Some Goofy Version."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #30
gingercat
Connoisseur

but the problem is we have to use what we can download and format ourselves which limits the options a bit. I use WEB Messianic version but the NKJV sounds good if it come out in BBeB format. I have noticed that books formatted by Sony always seem to use small fonts tho.