Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Feature request: Conversion, save backup

It would be nice to have an option on the conversion dialog to "save a backup copy". When converting from format to same format, say maybe with the new heuristic settings, things sometimes get worse and you've overwritten your source.

I haven't figured out what the best mechanism to "undo" a botched conversion would be though

I currently open the folder, copy/paste the file, then try the heuristic options, renaming/retrying as appropriate. Seems like there's an opportunity for a smoother process.

Maybe subsequent conversions could offer a "backup" to "format", and then you simply remove the backup file from the book later (or keep it if you choose).
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's worth thinking about, there's already a ticket for a feature to designate a format as the "Master" format. But given the way conversion works in calibre, there's no easy/elegant solution to this. At least, none that I can think of.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
nickdma
Enthusiast

While composing my post I had thought of something like a master format, although I was thinking more along the lines of a way of "locking" or "archiving" a file in the book.

Such files would be immune to removal, overwriting, etc.

Maybe rename the master/locked file to filename.ext.calibre. The .ext retains the original format designation.

Say I have "War of the Worlds.epub" and want to lock it. Calibre would make a copy as "War of the Worlds.epub.calibre".

Files named .calibre wouldn't be able to be removed, modified, or overwritten (within calibre at least).

Rather than backup on convert, you could have a checkbox to lock the original before conversion.

I've regrettably removed my source files since conversion to epub. I'd prefer to keep the source file moving forward, yet have it not readily available for transfer to device, or the content server, etc. I think a ".calibre" method could accomplish this.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This would not be an implementation of the master format idea, but what about just adding the feature of archiving a certain format with the ability to later restore said version? This could be implemented by, for example, creating a "archive.zip" in which the copies to be archived are stored. This could potentially also be expanded to allow archival of however many copies the user desires, if filenames inside the archive.zip are done right.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
To be worth while, this would require GUI support in the conversion and edit metadata dialogs. So that when doing a same fmt conversion the original is automatically archived, and the archived copy is automatically used if re-doing a same format conversion. And some sort of right click menu in the edit metadata dialog to restore an archived copy.

Open a ticket for it and I will see if I can add it into the 0.8 beta branch that seems to be developing at the moment (with a new metadata download system, last modified tracking and who knows what else).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
nickdma
Enthusiast

Ticket #8521 submitted.