Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
How To Deal With New Pricing Strategies (and get noticed?)

Since it seems that publishers only understand, and only care about, one thing - money - and not readers, I intend to adopt the following response to the newly announced pricing schemes. I don't know how much impact, if any, it will have, but I feel it is a fair personal response to their announcements.

When an ebook is initially launched at a price I feel is too high, and I want to read it right away, I will buy a "Used like new" copy from Amazon or another 3rd party merchant and send the following letter to the publisher and the author:

Dear ...........

I am an ebook owner. I feel that your price for the digital version of ...................... is too high and I will not buy it. Instead I purchased a used copy of the physical book on Amazon and paid ...... for it. NONE of this money goes to you, the publisher. NONE of this money goes to your author. Instead, Amazon and some anonymous seller are getting my money. And I am getting my money's worth. You, on the other hand, have just lost ...... income for the sale you lost.

I will not be coerced into paying more for a digital version of a book than I feel it is worth. Every instance of over-pricing will cost you money, at least from me.

Is this how you really want to train your reading public's buying habits?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Announcements aside, I have been doing this in recent months as I've seen ebook prices go up.

I'd love to steal your follow-up idea to help get the message across.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good idea, if the masses would do it, it would work...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I applaud those who are steadfast in adhering to such course of action. I would simply add the book to my online wishlist and circle back in the future for a price check.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Looks like prices are going to increase even more. The arrival of Apple's iPad has forced Google to renegociate rates with publishers. Amazon too is going to increase its prices.
See the following article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/bo...oogle.html?hpw
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Announcements aside, I have been doing this in recent months as I've seen ebook prices go up.

I'd love to steal your follow-up idea to help get the message across.
Steal away - communicating with you wallet may be the only way to get publishers' attention.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I really hate reading paper books these days. I'm considering seeing how fast I can rip them to digital with acceptable quality. I have a scanner with ADF, OCR software, and I'm not totally averse to destroying the paper copy. It seems a bit of a waste of resources, though. Of course, it may not really be worthwhile considering I rarely re-read books. I guess it will depend on how soon after release they lower the price.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I really hate reading paper books these days. I'm considering seeing how fast I can rip them to digital with acceptable quality. I have a scanner with ADF, OCR software, and I'm not totally averse to destroying the paper copy. It seems a bit of a waste of resources, though. Of course, it may not really be worthwhile considering I rarely re-read books. I guess it will depend on how soon after release they lower the price.
I'm looking at this alternative as well. There are some inexpensive (at least if you already own a digital camera) plans for a do it yourself book scanner at Instructables.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Go to a Torrent site and download the book. If I've already paid for the hard copy of the book I have no qualms about downloading a copy for my blackberry.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Go to a Torrent site and download the book. If I've already paid for the hard copy of the book I have no qualms about downloading a copy for my blackberry.
It would be quite eye-opening if - say, after the launch of a bestseller - with the higher ebook price model in place, or a delayed ebook release - if torrent/sharing sites reported download statistics to the publishers - showing them how much their model cost them.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A lot of independent authors are intent on keeping prices low, mostly at $1.99. If you look at the Amazon bestseller list for Kindle, they are gaining a lot of the bestseller slots. The high ebook price is mostly designed to protect new hardcover sales, but there's a ton of activity below. I started a small digital press to ease into this window of opportunity--we're developing a working-class mindset. Hope you explore it at hauntedcomputerbooks.blogspot.com. We're also in Smashwords and developing other outlets as well, and will try to keep our content unprotected wherever possible. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Scott Nicholson
The Skull Ring coming March 1
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Hey, I like what you're doing. As an author and a realist, I know that anything that hurts the customer in favor of the corporation ultimately hurts me the writer. If a company gets greedy, power hungry, or controlling, you the reader suffer just as much as I do, if not more in some cases. And that's completely unacceptable to me. I've fought corporate greed and power mongering too long in the FOSS world just to come over here and roll over for it too. Keep at this, and maybe in time more people will join with your little protest and get the attention of these greedy jerks.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Looks like prices are going to increase even more. The arrival of Apple's iPad has forced Google to renegociate rates with publishers....
Google always planned to give publishers more control over pricing than the established retailers. Amazon's pricing changes are also pretty well known. However, you should also keep in mind that the increases are in most cases for new books, it's not a permanent increase. A new ebook will be $13-15, and within a year will drop to $10 or so.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You guaranteeing that price drop then?

Or, wanna bet? ;-)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I moved this from News to General Discussion.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote