Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
segfaults when reading e-book..

Not sure where to report this.

I am trying to read the following e-book in calibre's viewer:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1232315662

The book is Neptune Crossing and the author is Jeff Carver.

The cover & the preliminary blurbs are displayed correctly but when I get to the beginning of chapter one, the viewer abruptly closes.

If I launch the standalone ebook-viewer program from a terminal's shell prompt, the same thing happens with the following messages:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:000] Cpu: 6.23.10, x4, 2534Mhz, 8040MB
[000:000] Computer model: Not available
Segmentation fault
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Scanning my hardware, huh...? What gives..?

I turned to FBreader and its rather scary UI, and to my surprise I was able to access the entire book.

I briefly looked at the contents of the zip/epub via vim and did not notice anything out of the way..

Any idea what's going on..?

This is on debian gnu/linux (stable) with a fairly recent copy of calibre (v1.3) downloaded from the official calibre site--not from the debian repositories.

Thanks,

CJ
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I am able to read that book just fine in calibre's viewer on my linux x64 system (gentoo)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Thanks. I'll try on a more recent system such as debian unstable or the latest ubuntu liveCD as soon as I get a chance.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I had no problem with that book using Debian (stable/Wheezy) amd64 and Calibre 1.8.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-27-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Calibre version
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Chris Jones
Addict

Thanks. Sounds like this 8-year old install of mine that dates back to Sarge (debian 3.1) is beginning to show its age.. Maybe it's time I did a fresh install...