Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
brandy8093
Edge User

Unhappy Got my doubts about the eDGe

Is it just me, if you took away the very nice eink reader, I wouldn't pay anymore then $50 for Entourage eDGe. Like I said the eink side is great. It's larger them most eink reader out there and has a great level of detail. but the netbook side has too many issues and drains the battery like crazy.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
brauckmiller
Edge User

I guess you are paying the $200 or so for the integration between the two.

Figure $250 for a Kindle, $50 for the Android side and then $200 for integration???

Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
dcubed2
Edge User

Actually, it's $10. The only 9.7" Kindle is the DX, which is $489. True, you also get the Kindle wireless included, but it's not very good for browsing the web. The $250 Kindle 2 is only a 6" screen and lacks support for pdfs.

It's what pushed me over to the eDGe - only $10 more. Now, I just need the ability to see the images from Google books pdfs. I can see the scanned text, but illustrations are blank. I can use pdfs from other sources than Google books, but Google has the most books I want :-(

Old 04-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
rocklyons
Edge User

I agree with borisb. The kindle DX is about the same footprint and price but only a reader and only for Amazon books. With the edge I have the reader and a netbook that I can hook up my digital cameras to in the field and view my pics in real time without carrying a another computer and still have the web content as well. It won't replace my other computers but it is a nice addition.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
mgm1979
Edge User

you all have to remember...this is a FIRST GENERATION device - there is NOTHING else like it on the market. Of course it will come with its limitations, but most of the complaints I've seen can (and almost certainly will) be solved via software updates...no different than any other "gadget" that's been brought to the market - manufacturers ALWAYS fine tune the device based on real world users' feedback...patience, young grasshoppers...this thing will most definitely take its place among elite devices, especially once the SDK is released and apps REALLY start rolling in for this thing.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
ckole
Edge User

i would say software refinements and self installed additional apps will make the device better. I would like Page Up/ Page Down buttons on the LCD side and that would be a physical hardware thing. Is it perfect? Nope but it is a very good first try. Just like the iPad this will get better in its 2nd generation. As other have said if you just read books don't get the eDGe. Stick with a traditional ereader. If you want to do more this is a good option. You just have to be efficient with the battery use. Only have wifi on when you need it and turn off the lcd screen when you don't. Maybe in the future a better battery will become available.