Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
00za
00za began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
usbnet requiring password, no telnetd started

Hi, I know there are bunch of threads with similar titles, but I did not find a solution for my problem.

I'm unable to log into my PW2 via telnet or ssh over usb.
Telnet returns "Connection refused." SSH requires a password.

I have airplane mode on, so wifi should be disabled.
Firmware version 5.4.3.2
K5 JailBreak version 1.15.N-r16256
Usbnet version 0.22.N-r16474
md5sums are correct
Device is unregistered if that makes a difference.

Nmap reports only port 22 open, nothing on port 23.
Telneting to port 22 says it's SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.0 - don't know if that's really openssh or dropbear.

In desperation I tired manually creating a authorized_keys file in usbnet/etc as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...27&postcount=4 But that's not working either; still asking for a password. Maybe amazon has a factory ssh process that's not being replaced by usbnet? Anyway I really didn't want to have to setup a password or ssh key.

Any help would be much appreciated.
00za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Switch to dropbear in the USBNet KUAL extension, OpenSSH doesn't support passwordless logins.

And make sure you've kept ssh over wifi disabled, too, as that disables passwordless logins, too.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
00za

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Switch to dropbear in the USBNet KUAL extension, OpenSSH doesn't support passwordless logins.

And make sure you've kept ssh over wifi disabled, too, as that disables passwordless logins, too.
Hi, yes according to KUAL dropbear is what is supposed to be running. Not sure why telnet IDs the service as SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.0 unless that's just they way dropbear responds to login attempts.

Ssh over wifi is disabled. Airplane mode is on.

Not sure what else to try. I did several factory downgrade ->jailbread -> reinstall cycles.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited by 00za; 09-25-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:

I'm sure there was some option in KOReader that provided passwordless logins over OpenSSH ... how does that option work?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@00za: What the KUAL button shows is what's *pushing* the button is going to do. i.e., if you're seeing the "Use dropbear" button, you're currently using OpenSSH.

Which we already knew, since you posted the version string from the sshd above . Unless that was your *client*.

Dropbear's, is, appropriately enough:
Code:
Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version dropbear_2019.78
@WaseemAlkurdi: Nope, that's also dropbear, and that's the exact same patch as used in USBNet (because it's also mine ;p). And it's also disabled by default (both the sshd, and passwordless logins).
It's also slightly outdated because I can't be arsed to maintain two set of slightly different patches for a feature I don't use (KOReader's sshd, I mean, since I maintain USBNet).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-25-2019 at 12:10 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
00za

Quote:
@00za: What the KUAL button shows is what's *pushing* the button is going to do. i.e., if you're seeing the "Use dropbear" button, you're currently using OpenSSH.

Which we already knew, since you posted the version string from the sshd above . Unless that was your *client*.

Dropbear's, is, appropriately enough:
Code:
Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version dropbear_2019.78
Thank you for clarifying the version string!
KUAL shows me
Code:
Allow SSH over WiFi
SSHD: Use OpenSSH
So I'm stuck somehow with openssh even though KUAL tells me it's using dropbear.
I have tried switching between the two but nothing changes.

I wonder if a startup script is not picking up my settings correctly so it's dropping me into openssh no matter what? Or maybe I've overlooked something dumb.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
00za

Quote:
That's it! I screwed up the routing. I've been trying to ssh into my own box the whole time! Damn that's embarrassing.

I brought up the usb0 with
Code:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.244
But that just makes it another interface on this box.

Gotta read the manual again and figure out how to set it up.

Thanks very much for your help. Sorry for wasting your time!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
00za

This post helped: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...89&postcount=2

Assign usb0 any other address on the 192.168.15.x subnet, then you can telnet into 192.168.15.244.

Thanks again very much for the help and the awesome software!

Please mark this solved.