Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlecracked View Post
Thanks for the advice, Dave. I'm out of the country for at least another month or two, and would like to keep reading, so I'm still hoping someone can help me implement this scroller hack in the meantime.
Your description: "Kindle with 5-way controller" is not specific enough.

Please compare the first four characters of the device's serial number with this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
and tell us what our model prefix it is.
(and fix your info block also)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 AM   #17
kindlecracked
kindlecracked began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011) K4, K4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your description: "Kindle with 5-way controller" is not specific enough.

Please compare the first four characters of the device's serial number with this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
and tell us what our model prefix it is.
(and fix your info block also)
I see. Here's the info:
B00E Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011) K4, K4S

Thanks, and please let me know if there's any more info I can provide.
kindlecracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see. Here's the info:
B00E Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011) K4, K4S

Thanks, and please let me know if there's any more info I can provide.
No development work required, the scroller done 2 years ago at the link you where given:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=38
Is the correct one for a K4 (any revision).

You will also have to have the KUAL launcher installed (and its dependencies) to run that KUAL extension.

- - - - - -

Abandon any hopes of replacing the screen, the K4 is glued together making it impractical to replace the screen.

Last edited by knc1; 05-08-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #19
kindlecracked

Quote:
No development work required, the scroller done 2 years ago at the link you where given:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=38
Is the correct one for a K4 (any revision).

You will also have to have the KUAL launcher installed (and its dependencies) to run that KUAL extension.

- - - - - -

Abandon any hopes of replacing the screen, the K4 is glued together making it impractical to replace the screen.
Sorry, are there step-by-step instructions for installing the KUAL launcher, running the extension, even jailbreaking the kindle (if needed)? Something for a non-hacker noob like me.

Regarding the screen, I assumed replacing it wasn't an option, so no worries there.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Yes.
Everything that is posted has directions both in the first post of the thread and usually also in files included with the download.

And then, of course, each package's thread has posts of user's questions and the answers about that package.

Plus, there is a lot of information in our Wiki.

We do assume that a person can and will read the directions.
Advert
Old 05-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
KUAL has full installation instructions included, in the opening post, both for itself and for extensions. Additionally, those instructions include a link to the jailbreak (well, I lie, it links to the index that in turn lists the jailbreaks by model ) and those jailbreaks in turn come with detailed instructions.

Please read all instructions for any hack you install/use! They are given for a reason, and they are written with the targeted userbase in mind! Any hack that is intended to be usable by non-technical individuals, already has instructions to guide non-technical users.

(Anything else, well, you don't need to, say, fix the e-ink waveform of your replacement screen panel I hope -- to name one example. Which is lucky, because it isn't a trivial job. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

As eschwartz points out above, we do have some things here that will leave a person with very advanced technical skill scratching their head (or other parts of their anatomy).

But what you need does not come anywhere close to those.
Install, in order:
K4 jail break
MKK for the K4
KUAL
the 'Scroller' add-in.

The 'Scroller' add-in has initial defaults that will probably work, but it also supports changing those defaults (to match where the screen is broken at).
Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #23
kindlecracked

Thanks, eschwartz and knc1. I've jailbroken and installed MKK and KUAL. How/where do I install the Scroller? Simply copy the unzipped files and folders to my K4's root directory? Anything more required?

And for use, will I use the 5-way to scroll down to the currently unviewable bottom section of the page, or the righthand page up/down buttons?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Install:
Kindle://extensions/
When you unzip it with that as the current directory, it will create the Kindle://extensions/scroller/* directory tree.

Be careful to **not** use any unzip program that (un)helpfully tries to change the line endings of text files for you.

Then try it.
See if it works as described.

Last edited by knc1; 05-11-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #25
kindlecracked

Quote:
Install:
Kindle://extensions/
When you unzip it with that as the current directory, it will create the Kindle://extensions/scroller/* directory tree.

Be careful to **not** use any unzip program that (un)helpfully tries to change the line endings of text files for you.

Then try it.
See if it works as described.
I unzipped into the extensions folder of the kindle, then tried the kindle and saw no effect. Both the right hand page buttons and the 5-way controller function as previously, without scrolling the page.

In the Scroller description it says "To Run: Just press the KUAL button. it will stay on until you go to screensaver". I'm not clear what/where the KUAL button is. I opened the "book" called KUAL in the kindle but saw nothing to indicate a Scroller-related function.

Please advise.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #26
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
What do you see after opening said 'book'?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Dave. I'm out of the country for at least another month or two, and would like to keep reading, so I'm still hoping someone can help me implement this scroller hack in the meantime.
By buying a Kindle on eBay, you do risk ending up with a blackballed Kindle meaning you cannot register it with Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #28
kindlecracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
What do you see after opening said 'book'?
Sorry, I see the Scroller button now. When pressed it closes KUAL, and appears to be functioning as designed, i.e. moving the Framebuffer 5% to the left. I see the notes in the Scroller post mention setting arg to switch the axis to Y, and presume that's what I need to do, but can't find where to do that in the Scroller files. I'm hoping to read the top half of the page as normal, then have the screen scroll down to show the bottom half. Any suggestions how to accomplish that?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #29
kindlecracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By buying a Kindle on eBay, you do risk ending up with a blackballed Kindle meaning you cannot register it with Amazon.
I wasn't aware of that risk. Thanks for the info.

Tags
broken display, hack, kindle