Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A comfortable read.

This is a question about ergonomics.

I am no great lover of the tablet format, and prefer a small laptop. I am presently typing on a Samsung Chromebook - it has an ARM processor and an 11.5 inch screen.

I do have a Nexus 7 Android tablet, but I have clumsy fingers and find writing even a short email uncomfortable. Then there is the question of having to hold or support a tablet, whereas a laptop sits comfortably on the knee with the keyboard under the hands and the screen adjustable for easy viewing. I spend quite a few hours a day reading news websites and keeping up with correspondence. I would not entertain that on a tablet. I have read reports of increasing cases of neck strain - I well understand that, as so many folk bend over their smart phones and tablets.

I have recently been experimenting with my Nexus 7 as a eBook reader, and with a £29 Nook bought for my wife as a reserve for her Sony Reader. She loves the Sony, and spends hours a day reading novels. Although there is not much difference in weight the Sony in its case it sits more easily in the hand that the Nexus 7 in its case. The Nexus 7 is longer and therefore drags more. The Nook in its case handles about the same as the Sony; but, of course, the Nexus 7 screen wins over both in all but bright sunlight.

What comfort strategies to folk have for reading for hours with the likes of a Nexus 7? If I sit it on my knee with my heels on a foot-stool I can almost get a comfortable position without holding the Nexus; but I say "almost". I can prop it on the arm of the chair in landscape mode for a good screen angle, but the line-lengths become over long. Increasing font size is nice, but also increases the frequency of page turns.

A stand that held the Nexus 7 in portrait mode might be good, but mechanical stability could be an issue

I also find Overdrive Read on my Samsung ARM Chromebook quite good. In laptop (landscape) mode the viewing area is big enough in full screen mode. The small laptop I can even rest on the arm of the sofa. I can rotate the screen and use the whole 11.5" portrait display for the big print-big book look, but if I do that I have a very large tablet in my hands. A cushion on my knee might be an answer, but not in this warm weather!

A Lenovo Joga with its bend-right-back keyboard would be good for that as a big big reader, but a very light A4 iInk tablet might be better still - Sony have one in waiting, I think.

How do others manage a comfortable read on the sofa or easy chair, and what hardware do they use?

Last edited by Labarum; 08-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
eInk readers tend to be very light these days so that helps a lot with ergonomics.

I'm fond of two-column landcape reading (via Coolreader or Overdrive, usually) so I keep both my Sony T1 and FireHD8.9 in their cases with the cover folded back, letting the weight rest on the upper edge of my left hand and I stabilize with the pinky. The Sony I could keep it there for days on end if needed. With the tablet the pinky starts to complain after 5-6 hours.
Still, it works.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An eInk reader such as the Kindle Paperwhite is lighter than a paperback book, so no aids to comfort are required.

The iPad is too heavy to comfortable hold up for long periods, so I generally use it propped up on my lap, or flat on a table.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm fond of two-column landcape reading
Now I had dismissed that option on a small 7" screen, but have tried it, and yes, it work well in Overdrive, especially with zero margins. Typographers say line over 70 characters become progressively difficult to read, and I was running into that problem with single column landscape.

I have a Nexus case with a flap that locks back into a horizontal stand. Laid right back in the sofa the Nexus will rest on my belly with the screen at just the right angle. Sitting more upright the Nexus will stand on the arm of the chair with a fairly decent screen position.

I must try a Bluetooth mouse. That may give me comfortable control with my hands where I want them rather than where the have to be.

I often use a wireless mouse or trackball with a Chromebook or laptop for the same reason.

PS

If you can use that glorious American word "pinky", I can give "belly" its correct English usage!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Get a CAT for a prop

Seriously! I find even the 7"TAB2 is to heavy to hold up for long when I read in bed.
The 5"PEz (without cover) is very light. Same goes for the K4NT (when I can use it ). Edge buttons, Not swipe are means for a 1 handed, easy page flip
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Labarum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Get a CAT for a prop
mmm

Problem: Anaphilactic Shock

Even a feather pillow would cause me distress within half an hour.

A cushion would be fine, stuffed with polyester fibres.

or a Missal Stand?

I am amazed how many of you have a collection of devices!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labarum View Post

We need one of each for every conceivable reading situation.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
New toys come out, the old ones refuse to die.

This year I'm using the (2011) T1 as my "paperback" reader and the (2012) Fire as my Hardcover-class reader. Unless somebody wows me (and the KPW and Aura didn't) I won't be getting a new reading toy this year.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Labarum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
New toys come out, the old ones refuse to die.
There is a shaving forum I dip into occasionally. Some men have an amazing collection of razors. The forum has coined the term SAD - Shaver Acquisition Disorder. What would be the equivalent here? Screen Acquisition Disorder?

Enough! Back to strategies for a comfortable read . . .
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I've heard several people at MR refer to GAD - Gadget Acquisition Disorder

sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
A stand that held the Nexus 7 in portrait mode might be good, but mechanical stability could be an issue
Try a 3Feet stand from Amazon or the equivalent. It's a neat little folding stand that works for a wide range of devices. I use it for my Samsung Galaxy Note phone, my Sony and Kobo Aura readers (in cases) and it has worked absolutely FINE with the large, 9" Nook HD+, with and without a case. I plan to use it with my new Nexus 7 when it arrives.

Edit: Forgot to mention I use it with the Nook HD+ in a vertical position.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A25DN8

I love this thing so much, I had relatives get me extras, in bright colors, last Christmas, because I kept losing my black one. Mind you, I read at a table a lot.

Last edited by graycyn; 08-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Labarum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Try a 3Feet stand
Yes, I have seen those things online.

A plate stand would work as well

http://www.johnlewis.com/home-garden...20/pg-view-all
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have an old metal soap box (that a bar of soap came in) that I sit on the arm of the couch, and use it to prop up my Kindle. It works just fine for me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
don't really see the need for a prop. I've read paperbacks for years without needing props, ereaders aren't any worse-not even as bad as some of the weightier paperbacks I've read (Anna Karenina-for a class). I suppose that some day, as arthritis gets worse (so far it's only in my hips) I might need a prop-but not now.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I use a lap desk from IKEA (mine is green):

I use it for both reading on tablets (9"-10") or typing on my laptop (10"-17").

Sometimes it needs to be propped up a bit more for me to read my tablet, such as when I'm outside on the deck, where I put the back edge on the table in front of me. The front rests on my lap and it ends up at a perfect reading angle for me. In the recliner, I'll have my knees bent a bit (resting my feet against the foot rest, rather than on top of it) and that props the lap desk up to the ideal reading angle for me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote