Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
The future of screen technology.... 2014

From my vipre's security newsletter's "cool stuff" section

Experience a normal day in 2014. The future of screen technology with stretchable screens, transparent screens and e-ink displays:

http://www.flixxy.com/future-of-screen-technology.htm

I thought it was fun, hope you enjoy...on my third viewing not exactly sure which screen was the e-ink display...

Last edited by tomereader; 01-20-2011 at 03:44 PM.
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
That is neat... but maybe mainstream by 2034, not 2014.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
Am I being cynical or is that all useless gadgetry?

I have no intention of offending @tomereader. I just find that none of those shown would make the slightest positive change in my life.
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
"We can do anything now that science has invented magic!"
-- Marge Simpson
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I kinda liked the mirror screen ... combine catching up on news, your days events/calendar while brushing teeth/hair, or shaving if the mirror pivoted you could be on the throne even....

it seems as our lives get more and more busy that we use technology to help us get some pleasure back in our lives...

Audio books for commutes while driving, our ereaders for bus/train commutes ... that recent post about iphones overlaying your surroundings on top of screen in a new layer via built in camera so you can walk read and talk at the same time... this just seems the continuation
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The mirror screen was totally unrealistic; there were no ads on it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
tomereader
Zealot

heh

I was thinking why this struck such a chord with me and finally remembered that during my ereader research last year the ones I was most interested in were the

"stretchable" Readius
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/19/p...ets-face-time/

and the bendable skiff
http://hubbaloo.wordpress.com/2010/0...dable-ereader/

and the ones in the video reminded me of those..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
When I first heard about ePaper prototypes becoming cheap enough and easy enough to produce that they'd make it into consumer electronics, I remember being shown these cool working examples of eBook readers and PDAs with rollable screens that would fit in your pocket.

Why do they still not have one? I seem to recall other companies making demo products along the same lines several years before the Polymer Vision one tomereader linked. Which, by the way, I still can't buy

I love my nook and all, but one of the promised benefits of ePaper was its ability to bend so I could have a 7 inch ebook reader that would fit easily in my pocket.

These future technology videos are fun to watch, but they're far too optimistic.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Puddleglum
Puddleglum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
The mirror screen was totally unrealistic; there were no ads on it.
That and the photo sharing. DRMDRMDRM oh nooooo, they're sharing a photo.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The "companies making demo products along the same lines several years before the Polymer Vision" were just 2 companies actually and that was the same people who were spun off into the companies Polymer Vision and Plastic Logic .

PolymerVision was literally on the eve of production for retail when the rug was pulled out from under them because of a financial scandal involving a majority owner and a pyramid scheme in Europe. They had already produced a a final production test run of units that numbered in the high hundreds.They were saved out of Bankruptcy by Wistron who has "kept the band together" so to speak. Technology and the market have changed over the 2 plus years when they were in limbo but they actuallyu kept at work. They are readying a sort of Readius 2.0 with all the improvements they have developed and will bring it to market probably this year.

Plastic Logic obviously had some problems bringing its first product to market. But their plastic electronics base is secure and they have just been given a huge contract to build a facility in Russia to produce plastic electronics there as well. More will be coming from them for sure.

The Skiff was never going to be bendable. the device itself was to be rigid but the display was to be the foil backed eink displays that LG developed. LG actually has begun production on foil displays and they have also entered into partnership with iRiver to produce devices. Their first device - the Story HD- doesnt use the foil backed display but its just a matter of time. It does use an "HD" backplane developed by LG to increase the resolution of the Eink sourced film.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote