Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
New 900 doesn't like lrx

I waited, I saw the iPad, and I bought a PRS-900. The proliferation of ePub DRM schemes is getting ugly so I'd rather stick with somebody supporting a "standard." And I don't really won't to go back to reading on an LCD after reading on eInk.

I love the 900. The screen isn't as good as my 505 but it's not bad. The interface is clearly better. And the wireless is very nice.

However, the 900 doesn't seem to be able to sync my lrx's (DRM'd old Sony format), the handful that Sony has not converted to ePub yet. This problem will eventually go away when the titles are converted but it's a problem right now for one of the titles I'm in the middle of.

I'm not too clear on what I've seen on this subject in other threads. I am using the Mac version of the Sony software and I'm under the impression that as long as I've updated from a previous version instead of doing a fresh install then lrx support is not a problem. True/False?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The 900 does not support LRX.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
I'm not too clear on what I've seen on this subject in other threads. I am using the Mac version of the Sony software and I'm under the impression that as long as I've updated from a previous version instead of doing a fresh install then lrx support is not a problem. True/False?
In order to get a Reader to handle LRX, it has to previously been authorized to do this. And since you can no longer authorize a Reader for LRX, if it doesn't handle it, it never will.

As for updating to Reader Library, if eBook Library handled your LRX, then Reader Library will too. So if your Reader Library displays your LRX, you could always read in the computer screen those books still waiting to go to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to get a Reader to handle LRX, it has to previously been authorized to do this. And since you can no longer authorize a Reader for LRX, if it doesn't handle it, it never will.

As for updating to Reader Library, if eBook Library handled your LRX, then Reader Library will too. So if your Reader Library displays your LRX, you could always read in the computer screen those books still waiting to go to ePub.

Got it. Thanks for the fast, clear answers guys.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote