Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
hopeful_franklin
hopeful_franklin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question Install Python 3.6+ ?

Hi,

I just enter the world of mobile read, because I want a simple tool for me and I thought that the kobo clara hd should work for this thing. I read that we can do a lot on it, that python and tkinter works, etc.

But I only found python 2.7 for clara hd. I search for more than 3 days, but I'm lost between versions of the firmware, good python version and how to do it.

So my question:
- Does it exist a tutorial explaining how to install python 3+ on kobo Clara hd ? I didn't find it.
- It is possible to upgrade python by myself or I have to wait until release from master in hack on this forum ?

If you have anything to say about how I format my question or if I do something wrong, just tell me, I will edit this post if so.
hopeful_franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No-one has a Py3k package, that I know of, no. And I wouldn't recommend diving into it unless you seriously know what you're doing, because cross-compiling interpreted languages is hell.

I do plan of doing that before the Python 2.7 EoL (01/01/2020), but not right this minute .

Did you have something specific in mind that *explicitly* requires Py3k?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
hopeful_franklin
hopeful_franklin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Yes I do have something specific in mind: https://pythonclock.org/

Don't code in 2.x, don't like it, don't want to...

Why are you talking about cross-compiling ?
hopeful_franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because the Kobo HW runs on ARM? And my masochistic tendencies are aimed at cross-compiling, not qemu or chroot shenanigans ;p.

EDIT: Also, no, I don't ship tk with my Python packages (and neither does Kobo), so, no tkinter .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Because the Kobo HW runs on ARM? And my masochistic tendencies are aimed at cross-compiling, not qemu or chroot shenanigans ;p.
Hey, qemu-user-static in a runc container works pretty well for running ARM binaries . Cross-compiling is a mess though. I recently spent a few hours trying to get GCC 9 + musl to cross compile properly as a static relocatable toolchain for my CI builds.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, no, I don't ship tk with my Python packages (and neither does Kobo), so, no tkinter .
And speaking of GUIs, it usually works better to make a web-based interface and either run it in the kobo browser or a separate QT app with a WebView.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only have Python 3.4 (more specifically, the Debian Jessie chroot on my Kobo has it)

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/python3

Newer Debian does not work for me (on my Kobo H2O with 2.6.x kernel) but might work on newer kernel Kobo devices.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-04-2019 at 03:57 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Kobo Installer has Python 3.4.1 inside it. It's a stripped version, since the entire py standard library is a bit too much for the internal memory. There's also a link to the other libraries.

I compiled it using qemu with a debian arm image. IMHO it was not so difficult. The difficult part was to move the standard library in a separate package.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 07-06-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?!

Tags
python3