Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Just curious--fingerprints

I was reading a review, or a comparison of the new basic Kindle and the Paperwhite 4, and read, "Unlike the Paperwhite, the basic Kindle’s display does not sit flush with the surface. Depending on who you ask, this could be a real advantage. Yes, dust and lint does get caught in the corners, but this is less aggravating than having to constantly wipe fingerprints off the plastic display as on the Paperwhite."

I have seen this complaint about constantly needing to wipe fingers off the screen of the Paperwhite. I stopped reading and thought. I can remember the last time I cleaned the screen on the PW4 I'm reading tonight. It was about four days ago and it didn't need cleaning. I was cleaning the glass screen on my laptop and that does need frequent cleaning. My Paperwhites get cleaned when I go on a rampage of cleaning and clean my glasses, my desktop monitors, my laptop, and my Paperwhites. One will also get cleaned when I splash spaghetti sauce when I'm reading with my dinner.

So, I'm curious. Do you get a lot of fingerprints on your PW4? Does it require constant cleaning?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I have a lot of fingerprints on mine, but don't notice it much unless it's in certain lighting and tilted a certain way. My son and I both have very smudgey fingerprint genetics or something, so our fingerprints seem to mark things easily. Must be the oils in our skin or something.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Now that they're waterproof I strap them to the luggage rack on top of the car before I go to the car wash.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
A bit more fingerprint-prone than the PW3. Nowhere near as bad as smartphones/tablets.

I've never really cleaned my PW4 because of fingerprints but I use it in the bathtub so it does get wiped down more often than my PW3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Now that they're waterproof I strap them to the luggage rack on top of the car before I go to the car wash.
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
You just trade Finger prints for those darn Water spots

I am still trying to put all my books away. But when I done I Plan to wash it with soap & water.... dry with soft towel.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The more refined among us use Reading Gloves to avoid soiling the screen with our bodily excretions.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The more refined among us use Reading Gloves to avoid soiling the screen with our bodily excretions.
Or have hired a servant to turn the page for us. While feeding us grapes.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
You just trade Finger prints for those darn Water spots
Which is why I just throw it in the dishwasher with some RinseAid. Top rack only of course.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Some people have more oils in their hands than others. I pull out a wet wipe a couple of times a week, clean the ereaders, the computer, the computer keys, the phones. I do the computer screen too, but you have to follow that with a microfiber cloth or it will streak. One is enough to do them all unless there is spillage. More if you are eating when using stuff because you get more crap on them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't know if my new Paperwhite has fingerprints on the screen or not and as long as I don't know if they're there I really don't care.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Which is why I just throw it in the dishwasher with some RinseAid. Top rack only of course.
Top rack would Bake it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You're supposed to clean the screen? I've never done that on my PW3. I just checked it, still looks fine. I tap the sides of the screen to turn pages, I don't drag my finger across the middle of the screen. Maybe that makes a difference. I'm not a neat freak or anything, but if I just munched down a slice of pepperoni pizza or a greasy burger and fries, I'll probably wash my hands before swiping around on an electronic device. Just basic cleanliness - I don't walk around looking like a troll who just bare-handed ripped a grilled duck off the spit - but nothing extreme.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
You're supposed to clean the screen? I've never done that on my PW3. I just checked it, still looks fine. I tap the sides of the screen to turn pages, I don't drag my finger across the middle of the screen. Maybe that makes a difference. I'm not a neat freak or anything, but if I just munched down a slice of pepperoni pizza or a greasy burger and fries, I'll probably wash my hands before swiping around on an electronic device. Just basic cleanliness - I don't walk around looking like a troll who just bare-handed ripped a grilled duck off the spit - but nothing extreme.
The PW4 is what they are talking about because it can get smudges. The PW3 doesn't get smudges, so I wouldn't clean that one.