Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iPad Air 2 to 9.7" iPad Pro?

Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare an iPad Air 2 with a 9.7" iPad Pro? I've had my Air 2 for a couple of years now, and I need to store a lot of large files (very large PDFs). I'm tempted by the 256GB option on the iPad Pro. Are there any other significant differences between the two models?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
- wide color display
- faster CPU and graphics
- 12 megapixel rear camera with flash
- 4 speaker audio
- support for Pencil and smart connector keyboard (non wireless)

And the 256 model is about the same as what I paid for 128 Air 2 a couple of years ago.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

And the 256 model is about the same as what I paid for 128 Air 2 a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately, that is only true for the US, not for the Euro zone and the UK
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I was actually considering the 12" iPad Pro, as a replacement for my Macbook + iPad Air 2, but the cost, ohmy. Here in Oz, its dropped a tad but for the 256GB is something like AUD $1500 just for the wifi model. Oh well, if our dollar gets strong again, I may do it on the next release. Thats a big IF of course.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The Apple Pencil is truly a game changer. Its integration on the pro 9.7 is flawless. I went from an iPad air (1st gen) to the pro and it's wow, just wow. I take lots of notes, and the pro is fantastic for that.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am kinda waiting for iPad Pro 2 (12") at this point. I'm trying to use my Air 2 for sheet music, and I think the extra screen would help with that. Also it should have better camera with flash (I want to digitize sheet music etc., but probably should experiment with my current iPad first). Pencil might be nice too, though I am making do with Bluetooth styluses which confer some additional accuracy and pressure sensitivity with some apps.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I am kinda waiting for iPad Pro 2 (12") at this point. I'm trying to use my Air 2 for sheet music, and I think the extra screen would help with that. Also it should have better camera with flash (I want to digitize sheet music etc., but probably should experiment with my current iPad first). Pencil might be nice too, though I am making do with Bluetooth styluses which confer some additional accuracy and pressure sensitivity with some apps.
The Air 2 and the Pro 12.9 have nearly identical cameras. The Pro 9.7 has a much better camera than either of the others.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The 12.2 was too big for me, I really needed something I can take with me on my flights. I hesitated between the Air 2 and the Pro 9.7, because I used a Bamboo Fineline on my Air and managed, but while at the Apple Store in June I tried the Apple Pencil and "saw the light".
I waited for a special offer somewhere on the web, looking now and then this summer, but it's the actual exchange rate GBP to EUR that made it a real steal. I could have even waited a bit more to cumulate the exchange rate + Black Friday, but I needed it for my classes which started mid-September, and at under 600 EUR transport included on amazon.co.uk it was impossible to resist....

So far I have not taken much pics, but have used it for my classes and the ability to take excellent notes on one side while having the document open on the other , all this on less than 10", is very valuable to me. I love that I can write super small with the pencil without having to use the zoom function on any app. And it's perfectly readable, although I have a very bad handwriting, which was never the case for me without using the zoom function with a BT stylus.

My only 2 complaints are A. that between the pencil, the pencil cap, and the pencil adapter, you end up having to find a cover that can take all that (hence loose a bit on the thin/light aspect) or use a separate pouch for that and again, loose on the portability, and B. that the charging of the pencil with the iPad is quick but dirty, design wise.
But from what I gathered, Apple is working on a new version of the pencil so hopefully those issues will be addressed soon.

The Pro brought me back to Apple, because until then I had found the new iPhones and iPads always very boring and not really different from their predecessors. Our household has an iPhone 4, an Air 1 and a mini 1, and none of us felt like upgrading.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-30-2016 at 07:00 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare an iPad Air 2 with a 9.7" iPad Pro? I've had my Air 2 for a couple of years now, and I need to store a lot of large files (very large PDFs). I'm tempted by the 256GB option on the iPad Pro. Are there any other significant differences between the two models?

Thanks!
Here are two comparison videos.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Recent rumors say there may be a 10.5" iPad Pro next March. If you don't need to upgrade now, then you might want to wait for the next series of models.

I upgraded from the iPad4 to the iPad Pro 9.7 which obviously was a bigger leap than going from the Air 2. I got the 256GB. I like the True Tone screen and also the additional speakers. I haven't used the Pencil as much as I should! We also have an iPad Air in my house, and we don't need to upgrade that for awhile. It still meets our needs.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 AM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Good idea to wait.

@HarryT have you considered investing in a portable wifi hard drive, if you need to be moving big files about? Seagate and WD make them.

I use Filebrowser from Stratospherix.com (available in the app store) to access files on my mac-connected external drives, but a portable drive probably has its own iOS app for such a thing.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

The 10.5" rumor seems dubious: who is complaining that 10" is just a little too small? Just to make bezels smaller in existing shell? I guess 5% larger would work, without noticeable degradation due to smaller DPI and maybe some manufacturing cost reduction.

Another rumor suggests new iPad releases in each of the existing form factors (8/10/12). Another rumor that physical Home button will go away. I assume headphone jack is history...
Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
The 10.5" rumor seems dubious: who is complaining that 10" is just a little too small? Just to make bezels smaller in existing shell? I guess 5% larger would work, without noticeable degradation due to smaller DPI and maybe some manufacturing cost reduction.

Another rumor suggests new iPad releases in each of the existing form factors (8/10/12). Another rumor that physical Home button will go away. I assume headphone jack is history...
According to an article on Mac Rumors, "Apple will ship three new iPad Pro models around Spring 2017, including 7.9-inch, 9.7-inch, and 10.1-inch models, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara."

But rumors or just rumors, unless they become true.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
According to an article on Mac Rumors, "Apple will ship three new iPad Pro models around Spring 2017, including 7.9-inch, 9.7-inch, and 10.1-inch models, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara."

But rumors or just rumors, unless they become true.
I think you meant '7.9-, 10.1-, and 12.9-inch", which is what the article says.

So, .4" larger than the current 'small' iPad Pro? Seems a little weird since that model was the first with True Tone display and you would think that they would just keep the same display going.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I think you meant '7.9-, 10.1-, and 12.9-inch", which is what the article says.

So, .4" larger than the current 'small' iPad Pro? Seems a little weird since that model was the first with True Tone display and you would think that they would just keep the same display going.
Nice catch. But I just copied and pasted the obvious typo directly from the text of the Mac Rumors web page without reviewing it. So they messed up. No surprise there! Just read any blog or news media site these days to see loads of typos. Looks like they have corrected it now though.