Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've had a house-guest for the last 11 days and will finally get caught up here. Where people have made only one nomination, I'll put it in the master post; those with more than one out there will have to whittle it down.

Not to worry; there will be loads of time and ample notice before the selections are locked in.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Getting back to themes, how do we know if people are actually interested in what we’ve proposed? There’s no point having a theme if doesn’t appeal to the members or doesn’t spark book ideas. Do we vote at the end of the discussion?
I'll amplify Bookpossum's response a bit. Part of the reason we do it this way (I think) is that it can be a while before each member nominates a winner and there's a lot of happenstance involved in that. This is a way of guaranteeing that everyone's got something they can "own." It also helps us get outside our own limitations; voting tends to rubberstamp more typical themes.

Also, we strive to be reasonable and amenable people and our latitude in interpretation gives us some wiggle room. You can always come up with some spin on a theme! That said, while we are inherently polite and supportive, if you see serious issues with a particular theme, this is the time to air them.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #78
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll amplify Bookpossum's response a bit. Part of the reason we do it this way (I think) is that it can be a while before each member nominates a winner and there's a lot of happenstance involved in that. This is a way of guaranteeing that everyone's got something they can "own." It also helps us get outside our own limitations; voting tends to rubberstamp more typical themes.

Also, we strive to be reasonable and amenable people and our latitude in interpretation gives us some wiggle room. You can always come up with some spin on a theme! That said, while we are inherently polite and supportive, if you see serious issues with a particular theme, this is the time to air them.
Thank you for the extra context issybird! I hope you enjoyed your company. In my short time here, that’s definitely been my experience - welcoming, creative, supportive people. (And everyone’s so darn bright too!)

I’m sorry though, because I should have given more context to my question. I didn’t have concerns about any of the themes outside my own. It was just a momentary qualm that if my theme was too dull to generate ideas, people would be too polite to say so. But as you say, and Bookpossum reminded me, it really wouldn’t matter - this group could make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.

I really love the theme approach! It adds some fun and excitement that just having a traditional genre wouldn’t. It’s challenging too - it makes me do some research and give some real thought to nominations. And I find myself looking forward to the 1st of the month to see what everyone else has come up with. Bravo to the club founders for such a brilliant, creative framework.

Last edited by Victoria; 04-25-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #79
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So, Dazrin, where are you at with your choices? If you're not using it, I wouldn't object to taking over Tasty Morsels, because I quite like the theme, but if you're going with it, I'm looking at something like Working Class, Labour of Love, which should have us going for widely divergent choices, everything from The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon, by William M. Adler, to some hot romance novels.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
One theme that I was thinking of is books about books. It would have possibilities for both fiction and non-fiction.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #81
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
One theme that I was thinking of is books about books. It would have possibilities for both fiction and non-fiction.
Neat idea - sounds like fun!

A friend complained to me a while ago that her in-laws had given her a book about the history of books as a gift. I was envious - I don’t think she gets Mobileread
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #82
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yes, everything from the invention of the printing press to books set in libraries.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #83
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Oh, I like this. I have two ideas for this theme already!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #84
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback! I have read several books this year that fit this category.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #85
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I like this, too. How would you like to phrase it, Bookworm_Girl?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #86
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So, Dazrin, where are you at with your choices? If you're not using it, I wouldn't object to taking over Tasty Morsels, because I quite like the theme, but if you're going with it, I'm looking at something like Working Class, Labour of Love, which should have us going for widely divergent choices, everything from The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon, by William M. Adler, to some hot romance novels.
I may change my mind later depending on what else happens but I'm going to nominate First Things First: Debuts. I like the pairing with The End of the Road (even if it isn't January/December which really doesn't matter to me). I like the idea of reading a couple stories by the same author in drastically different periods of their life in close proximity. It may not happen that way of course, but it's the thought that keeps running through my head.

I still like Tasty Morsels but right now FTF is calling my name louder. If you or someone else wants to take it, feel free. If not, I may still change my mind or we can save it for the next go-around.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #87
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I may change my mind later depending on what else happens but I'm going to nominate First Things First: Debuts. I like the pairing with The End of the Road (even if it isn't January/December which really doesn't matter to me). I like the idea of reading a couple stories by the same author in drastically different periods of their life in close proximity. It may not happen that way of course, but it's the thought that keeps running through my head.

I still like Tasty Morsels but right now FTF is calling my name louder. If you or someone else wants to take it, feel free. If not, I may still change my mind or we can save it for the next go-around.
Wonder if the first/last theme could be combined in one vote for two months' reading choices--each nomination would be a pair of books, and we'd read the first one one month, then the last one the next month.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #88
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wonder if the first/last theme could be combined in one vote for two months' reading choices--each nomination would be a pair of books, and we'd read the first one one month, then the last one the next month.
I think that could be really interesting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #89
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like this, too. How would you like to phrase it, Bookworm_Girl?
I'm open to any suggestions people have.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 AM   #90
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I'm open to any suggestions people have.
As it was written: Books about books

or

And so it was written: Books about books

(Not perfect but maybe closish?)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote