Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Google announces Pixel C Android tablet

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-unve...-built-tablet/

Quote:
Google has unveiled a new tablet called the Pixel C, with hopes that the productivity-focused device can revive the sagging tablet market.

The Internet search giant unveiled the 10.2-inch Pixel C (the "C" stands for convertible) and its removable keyboard Tuesday at a press event in San Francisco. Like other devices in the Pixel line, the tablet is built entirely by Google. Devices in its Nexus line are made in collaboration with partner companies.
Quote:

The metal-clad tablet, which runs on Google's Android operating software, uses an Nvidia Tegra X1 eight-core processor with 3 gigabytes of memory, Andrew Bowers, a Google product management director, said on stage. Bowers also noted that the magnetically connected, Bluetooth-enabled keyboard doubles as a stand, so users don't have to prop up the tablet on a book or pillow.
Quote:

...the market for tablets has been in decline. Shipments of the devices are expected to drop 8 percent this year, according to market tracker IDC.

The Pixel C will go on sale "in time for the holidays," Bowers said, and cost $499 with 32 gigabytes of storage and $599 for 64 GB. The keyboard will cost $149. In comparison, the iPad Pro starts at $799, with the keyboard selling for $169. A Microsoft Surface 3 tablet starts at $499, with the base model including 64 GB storage, and a keyboard cover costs $130.
More at the source.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I wonder if convertible Windows 10 tablets will take over. I've been looking to replace my three year old tablet and while I love Android, buying a tablet that is also a laptop with the full desktop experience that could replace both my tablet and my netbook is very tempting.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wonder if convertible Windows 10 tablets will take over. I've been looking to replace my three year old tablet and while I love Android, buying a tablet that is also a laptop with the full desktop experience that could replace both my tablet and my netbook is very tempting.
I picked up a convertible two months ago (last year's model, dirt cheap) and I've been very happy. Even for pure media consumption, it is simply a much better experience than Android. Just having full Calibre on board justifies the move.

I can see going for Android on something real cheap but dropping $500 on an Android system when I can get a comparable or better experience for under $300 on a wintab?

I think Amazon is crazy (like a Fox) with their pivot to the low end on their new tablets. And I think there is a "market correction" coming to premium android tablets. Real. Soon.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We just got my wife a Lenovo Yoga convertible PC, the kind where the laptop keyboard stays attached and folds all the way back for use as a tablet.

She has essentially retired her Android tablets and her Chromebook (gave them to our kids) and uses the convertible and her smartphone almost exclusively now.
Although she does miss a certain few Android apps from the tablet, she's pretty happy with it. We got her a pretty expensive model, so it could be her primary PC. I'd be nervous carrying a device that expensive for routine mobile use. I need to carry a device I can afford to break.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Blue Stacks can help with the app issue http://www.bluestacks.com/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My concern with the decline in the tablet market is that most of the "convertibles" I've seen don't have a 3G/4G/whatever radio. Those on the move (and needing connectivity) have to either find available wifi or resort to working on their their phone (or messing with setting up connectivity THROUGH their phone). I'm not taking a convertible anywhere there's not going to be wifi--and I'm certainly not going to try to be productive on my phone--so for me, that medium-sized 3G capable tablet fills a void (but apparently, the rest of the market doesn't agree with me ).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My concern with the decline in the tablet market is that most of the "convertibles" I've seen don't have a 3G/4G/whatever radio. Those on the move (and needing connectivity) have to either find available wifi or resort to working on their their phone (or messing with setting up connectivity THROUGH their phone). I'm not taking a convertible anywhere there's not going to be wifi--and I'm certainly not going to try to be productive on my phone--so for me, that medium-sized 3G capable tablet fills a void (but apparently, the rest of the market doesn't agree with me ).
There were a decent number of 4G 2-in-1s at BestBuy with subsidized pricing from Verizon, so SOMEONE agrees with you, but consider:
  • As full-fledged PCs, there's a wide selection of cellular radio attachments that can be added on.
  • Using one's phone as a hot-spot has gotten much easier and less expensive, so it's a totally viable option. Personally, I mostly use USB tethering, and charge my phone at the same time.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll be honest ... there's going to be many times I'll want to leave both my convertible AND my phone at home. That's where my smallerish 3G tablet comes in handy.

But I take your point. It's not that big of a deal, really. I'm sure I'll be able to adapt to whatever hardware the market deems appropriate. I always have so far.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My newly kindled desire for a Surface Pro 3 to replace my tablet and laptop also has me considering Windows Phone. I'm waiting to see what Windows 10 on a phone is like, once it's officially rolled out.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Blue Stacks can help with the app issue http://www.bluestacks.com/
I had high hopes for that.
Not anymore.
It only ran in portrait and wouldn't finish downloading apps from the Amazon store. A couple times it wouldn't finish booting.
My main interest was running fbreader.
Then I discovered Fiction Book Reader for Win8.
It's fast, it's stable and while it doesn't have all the features of the Android version, it has the right ones.
Not missing a thing right now...
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My newly kindled desire for a Surface Pro 3 to replace my tablet and laptop also has me considering Windows Phone. I'm waiting to see what Windows 10 on a phone is like, once it's officially rolled out.
If you haven't yet, look into the ASUS T100 Chi. Amazon has it at good prices.
It's one reason I'm bearish on premium Android.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If you haven't yet, look into the ASUS T100 Chi. Amazon has it at good prices.
It's one reason I'm bearish on premium Android.
Oh yeah, I've checked out the ASUS. Realistically, I'd probably get an ASUS or an Acer 2-in-1. I even looked an the el-cheap-o Nextbook. The Surface Pro 3 is what I want if I suddenly inherit a large case of druthers.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I've checked out the ASUS. Realistically, I'd probably get an ASUS or an Acer 2-in-1. I even looked an the el-cheap-o Nextbook. The Surface Pro 3 is what I want if I suddenly inherit a large case of druthers.

That was me. I was about to "settle" for the Surface 3 when Woot came a-calling. Too good to pass up so I used the savings to scratch build an i5 desktop and preorder Fallout 4.

That is the challenge Google faces, as CNET points out. $600 is a lot of cash in the computing world and Android's calling card has always been price. Take that away and the warts become a whole lot more visible.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-30-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is the challenge Google faces, as CNET points out. $600 is a lot of cash in the computing world and Android's calling card has always been price. Take that away and the warts become a whole lot more visible.
I agree. I wonder, if Microsoft had managed to move directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if they would be dominating the tablet market and also be in a much better position on the phone front?

Bill Gates saw this market coming back in 2001. Too bad they didn't have the foresight to design software for it, to get ahead of the curve.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree. I wonder, if Microsoft had managed to move directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if they would be dominating the tablet market and also be in a much better position on the phone front?

Bill Gates saw this market coming back in 2001. Too bad they didn't have the foresight to design software for it, to get ahead of the curve.
It wasn't the software that was lacking; it was the hardware, especially the CPUs and GPUs. I've used TabletPCs since day one and the constraints were the weight and heat load. Plus price.
The software was always stable and responsive.

Even the truncated version of windows from the PDAs was a better OS (an as OS) than the phone OSes in current tablets and phones.

MS simply hung on to the OEM partner model too tightly, too long.
Notice how quickly the hardware quality of windows tablets improved once MS launched Surface?
Even the Surface RT served a purpose, getting Intel to deliver proper Tablet-worthy SOCs. (Not the first time MS has nudged Intel to up their game by cozying up to a competitor.)