Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
How do you hold your Oasis? (either 1st or 2nd generation model)

hi all,

long story, short: i'm struggling to find a comfortable way to hold my Oasis when i lie in bed. i read lying on my back. with my Kindle PW3 (and prior PW2), i typically hold it by forming an L with thumb and pointer finger sort of forming a ledge of support. it isn't 100% comfortable, yet i can do this (by swapping hands every 15-2o minutes) with no ill effect for up to a few hours. i can also, to vary things up, wrap my entire hand around it (between my pinky and thumb) since i have fairly large hands.

fast forward to last week when i took delivery on my Oasis 2. i immediately noticed that i couldn't hold it comfortably. i know it was designed for some of sort grip wrapped around the thicker "spine" so one could use their thumb to turn pages using either of the buttons, but that hasn't worked well for me. within about 10 minutes of use, my hand is aching and sore, and in fact, that discomfort continued for a significant period after using the Oasis which is sort of scary for someone who years ago suffered from repetitive strain injuries from too much computer use. after suffering with this discomfort for a few days, i'm sad to say that the Oasis 2 is packed up and ready to be returned to Amazon even though it is the best Kindle screen i've seen to date. (it's not perfect, but close)

meanwhile, i ordered a refurbished Oasis 1, thinking that the lighter weight (without case) would compensate for the aforementioned issues. the lighter first generation Oasis is certainly easier to hold one handed grasped around the "spine" yet it still isn't quite that comfortable to me. i can use my "older method" of forming an L, but i find the balance isn't quite right due to the tapered base, and of course the means the page turn buttons become unusable (which isn't a huge deal to me in reality... especially since i have a separate issue of sometimes the buttons not registered a page turn...so my unit may be defective in that regard :\ )

anyway, if people can share their "grips" and are generously willing to take the time even photograph how they are holding their Oasis e-reader, i would greatly appreciate it.

i'd like to make the Oasis work for me, but i'm right now happy with how i'm holding it and its taking me away from the main intent: enjoying reading!

thanks!
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i use a finger ring with a magnet. see this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...291632&page=36
post #529
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Have you considered something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/GEEPIN-Adjust...+to+use+in+bed

With it, a remote page turner would be nice.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
It probably won't matter much how others hold their Oasis. Each of our hands are just way to different. I am someone that has wrist issues and for me the Voyage was hard to hold and still pressing down on the haptics. I think because the bezel was so small so it keeps slipping out of my hands.

So when I got the Oasis1, I was very happy. I was holding it on the thick end and its very comfortable. Mind you, I could never do what you do, make some sort of "L" as that would really stretch out my little finger and having to stretch then with the thumb to put my hand near the buttons. My hands are small and my fingers short I guess.

The Oasis2, it took me a wee bit longer to find the right position. Again, making an L would not be an option for me, so I kind of hold it in a relaxed way so my thumb is in between the buttons, with resting more on the bottom one. I can still stretch a bit to go back. I have bottom as forward. My fingertips are kind of laying in the groove. So for my hands its about perfect. I can keep my hand and wrist relaxed and so not cramp. My index finger is too short to hit the groove, just the middle and the next one. The little one just barely feels the edge of the groove. that makes my thumb be a straight line to the arm and my wrist is also, so not bend.

It is really really hard to describe. It took me a few days. I would never though lay flat in bed to read and hold any device above me. First off, i'd fall asleep in an instant if I'd lay flat, but my arm would get tired just hanging there in mid air above my head. I always prop myself so I can then rest any kindle on my blanket, which I make a roll with to get just the right height. I do very little reading in bed though.

Since I sit mostly when I read, the weight of the O2 falls into my palm as I tilt it forward, so I don't have to actually cramp up by holding it. I let gravity do its thing. Like a 45 degree angle? Again, hard to explain.

You have to be comfortable and if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. Its hard to get into a book if you keep feeling your hands, wrists or constantly have to adjust something.

I am not sure if I am capable of taking a photo while holding the device. I am a horrible picture taker as it is, it always takes both hands for me.

Maybe tomorrow in day light I can try to give it a shot. But again, that won't help you if you have specific reading positions you need the reader to work for you. That is so very individual
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i use a finger ring with a magnet. see this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...291632&page=36
post #529
thanks for the suggestion.

i did see that post but i don't think that's ultimately the solution i'd like to pursue as that makes the device less portable for use when i'm not lying in bed (i'd like to easily put back on my cover and then take the Kindle Oasis with me.)
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I tilt my head to the side on the pillow and hold it in one hand on that side. The pillow helps to provide extra support. That's more comfortable for me than holding it above me.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I tilt my head to the side on the pillow and hold it in one hand on that side. The pillow helps to provide extra support. That's more comfortable for me than holding it above me.
That would be a comfortable position, unfortunately, I have to wear glasses. The arms start to dig into my head when I lay on my side and it messes up my adjustment of the glasses. I would love to lounge on the sofa like that too, on my side. Alas, not to be.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
When I read in bed or on the sofa, I read hands free. I put it on a cushion that has beads in it. The person who made mine doesn't make them any more (Coyle), but there are many good ones out there -- Peeramid, the Book Seat, or just a small lap pillow. I use the Amazon fabric cover stand on the cushion for my Oasis 2, but when I read on my Voyage I don't have a stand cover.

I only hold my Oasis if I am reading on the train.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Derek87
Connoisseur

thanks everyone. i appreciate you all sharing your thoughts and experiences.

some added info:
- i actually am not really holding the Kindle over my head. what i do while lying on my back is that my upper arm (bicep/tricep) is laying flat/paralllel on the mattress. then at my elbow, my forearm is up and roughly a right angle, or maybe slightly tilted towards my face. then my hand is extended beyond that holding the kindle. so in the end, my neck is slightly propped by a relatively flat pillow and my kindle is tilted maybe 30deg from the vertical towards my face.

- good news: while not entirely perfect, i read about an hour last night "pain free" using the Oasis 1. it's screen is not as nice as the Oasis 2 (both size and uniformity of light and text contrast), but i can at least read in bed without hurting myself.

if i did more reading on the sofa (hopefully someday after life gets less busy with having a special needs child at home), i might consider having two Kindles. one for the sofa, one for bedtime reading. but i can't justify that cost right now. as it stands, i'll relegate my quirky PW3 (backlight switch isn't reliable either by power switch/magnetic switch) to commute reading where i don't need a backlight.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
thanks for the suggestion.

i did see that post but i don't think that's ultimately the solution i'd like to pursue as that makes the device less portable for use when i'm not lying in bed (i'd like to easily put back on my cover and then take the Kindle Oasis with me.)
this is only a temp solution. when i get my case, the metal plate will be placed between the case and the reader without the 3m strips. the magnet/finger ring combo is removable. it's never permanently stuck to the reader in either case.

Last edited by rem736; 11-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I read on my side, the Oasis buldge end is in my palm with my finger on the button. if I'm reading for a long time I might turn it over so the buldge is in the palm of the hand on top, that way the thin end takes the weight on the mattress.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I read on my side, the Oasis buldge end is in my palm with my finger on the button.
Yes, same here. That way my thumb naturally lies on the upper button to turn the page.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-18-2017 at 06:54 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote