Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Amazon announces: Echo

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/06/amazon-echo-speaker/
Quote:
Last week it was a new streaming stick, and this week it's a speaker. Today, Amazon announced the Echo: a $199 speaker that caters to your Prime music, news and weather needs at the sound of your voice. Similar to "OK Google" command, a "wake word" gets the gadget to perk up before sorting those spoken cues like searches, setting alarms, relaying the forecast for tomorrow and more. It's kind of like having Siri, Google Now or Cortana stuffed into a diminutive household speaker. The audio accessory is connected to the retailer's cloud via WiFi, and it also allows for beaming Spotify or Rdio via Bluetooth. Thanks to a cylindrical design, the unit blasts out tunes and other bits in all directions so that everyone in the room can hear.

A group of seven microphones are scattered around the top of the speaker, which Amazon says allows the Echo to pick up your commands while it's playing Taylor Swift's 1989. What's more, that cloud connection enables the device to get smarter as it learns your speech patterns, vocabulary and personal preferences. There's a companion app to sort music, alarms, shopping lists and more on Fire OS and Android (also inside desktop and iOS browsers), as well as on-board controls to cue commands, adjust volume or disable the listening feature during weekend festivities.

Last edited by xendula; 11-06-2014 at 01:42 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I just watched the video. It's a pass for me.
Almost all of my tablets will respond to voice and give me the weather, news, etc...
The only thing I could possibly see as a plus is, could it be used as a bluetooth speaker? So people could play their own music instead of what it picks out. I haven't found the answer to that yet.

Of course, it will probably monitor what you ask of it and report back to Amazon. They collect enough information from me as it is.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 11-06-2014 at 01:45 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Designed for people without passels of noisy pets and children in the house.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So true.

Isn't there a company that makes a bluetooth speaker shaped like this and it has lights that change colors?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Designed for people without passels of noisy pets and children in the house.
Was watching the video while with the dog. Even HE yawned and went back to sleep.

NPR One automatically plays the moment you open it. So in my case, I would go, "Okay Siri, open NPR One," and it'd have the same results.

It would have been cool tech five years ago. This is just going to end up on a corner collecting dust.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Was watching the video while with the dog. Even HE yawned and went back to sleep.

NPR One automatically plays the moment you open it. So in my case, I would go, "Okay Siri, open NPR One," and it'd have the same results.

It would have been cool tech five years ago. This is just going to end up on a corner collecting dust.
I had to turn of "Hey Siri". When listening to podcasts in the car it kept triggering. It was more of a frustration than a benefit. I suspect this would be the same.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Is it wrong to see no additional use for it and still want it? I requested an invitation (bizarre marketing strategy) and will be thinking about it. Given my 1star Voyage review, they may pick only people who grade everything with 5 stars.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
mycurlylocks
Addict

I thought of this speaker as soon as I saw the image.
JBL Pulse
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-puls...ker&cp=1&lp=17

Of course the Amazon Echo doesn't have the pretty colors. I like colors!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
mycurlylocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Is it wrong to see no additional use for it and still want it? I requested an invitation (bizarre marketing strategy) and will be thinking about it. Given my 1star Voyage review, they may pick only people who grade everything with 5 stars.
Doesn't mean you have to use the invitation... They will probably send one to anyone that requests it. This makes it look special, saying by invitation only, instead of limiting the quantity that may be ordered at a discount. Old marketing strategy... people will come closer to buying this way.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 11-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
This is one of those things that I look at and think, "Oh, how cool!" And then I think, "What the heck would I actually DO with it?" With the FireTV Stick last week, I had the same reaction, but for $19 I ordered it anyway. For this latest doohickey, the price is too high and common sense prevails.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The thing -- the important thing -- is that Amazon is offering it to Prime members at a steep discount. First the stick, now this. Amazon Prime is starting to look like a shopping club...and, right now, I am feeling a little left out.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The thing -- the important thing -- is that Amazon is offering it to Prime members at a steep discount. First the stick, now this. Amazon Prime is starting to look like a shopping club...and, right now, I am feeling a little left out.
I didn't even see that it was discounted for Prime customers.

I'm canceling my Prime when the renewal comes. I am no longer a student, and feel that it's bloating up in perks I don't need.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I requested an invitation. For 99 bucks it looks like an interesting gadget.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Didn't realize there's a discount for Prime. Been wanting a bluetooth speaker for my bedroom. $99 makes it worthy of consideration. Requested an invite.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I just watched the video. It's a pass for me.
Almost all of my tablets will respond to voice and give me the weather, news, etc...
The only thing I could possibly see as a plus is, could it be used as a bluetooth speaker? So people could play their own music instead of what it picks out. I haven't found the answer to that yet.

Of course, it will probably monitor what you ask of it and report back to Amazon. They collect enough information from me as it is.
Yes it can.
Quote:
Bluetooth-enabled

Stream your favorite music services like Spotify, iTunes, and Pandora from your phone or tablet.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote