Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #61
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I've never held a paperback with one hand to read. I always use two hands and balance against myself or a table. I do the same with my Sony and iPad and never had any strain using the device. Since I have the Apple case, I use it in landscape mode and its tilt allows me to go hands free on a surface top while I read effectively making it weightless.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No built-in pillow (yet).
I prop the HB on the cat (Talk about WEIGHT) that always seems to find it necessary to use me as a cat bed (I like to read reclining)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #63
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
That's pretty cool, I never knew that it had that and a lot of times when I'm reading whether at night or day I wish that the text was white on black. I just wish that switching it didn't mess up the icons and other colors in the applications because I'd probably leave it on all the time. Thanks
Yes, I agree! The first time I used it was in the Settings screen, and my first thought was immediately, "Ahh, much better!". Then I went back to the home screen, and my bacground's a negative and my app icons are irradiated...oh, well.

I should mention that I certainly got that tip from someone else here at MR, but couldn't recall where.

Regarding the thread topic, I mostly read late at night in bed, propped up on pillows, iPad resting on my chest or stomach. I don't find weight an issue then. Different situations may have me provide different opinion.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #64
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Yeah, I believe that 200g is the max bearable weight. In reality, there is no much difference, kindle - iPad, both are too heavy for long reading...
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #65
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I actually saw an iPad "in the wild" for the first time on Monday. I asked the woman who was using it how she liked it, and she was raving about it. She said she uses it now for reading instead of her Kindle. I didn't ask her to hold it, but the thing that struck me was how large it looked. (That's compared to my Kindle 3 or my Kindle 1.) I also noticed that the screen had a little bit of a bluish cast, but that might've been the viewing angle or the brightness level she had it at.

The conclusion I came away with was the same that I reached for the Kindle DX: It's too large for me. Because of my chair, it'd be difficult to carry around comfortably, or in my backpack. I'll admit that there was a bit of a wow factor in seeing one, though.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #66
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
ipad is heavier than a dedicated ereader, but people shouldn't buy them just to use as ereaders.I guess that most of its weight is the weight of the battery.I don't think that a 2nd generation of ipads will see a lot of hadware changes. Most improvements will likely be in the software,and that's very good,because all ipads (new and old) will benefit.
valentin bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad is lighter than the majority of hardback books. Like a hardback book, it's perfectly comfortable to read two-handed. It is too heavy to hold one-handed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #68
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #69
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Haven't I seen that cat before over on KindleBoards? Adorable and a lovely iPad holder.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #70
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I use one all the time, mostly to read and I do find it a tad heavy. I realize hardbacks are just as heavy, but the weight distribution is different. Obviously it's not a showstopper for me since I bought one.

I love my iPad, but if it were 1/2, 3/4 pounds lighter, that would be awesome. I usually use a throw pillow to negate the weight. I also use a Sony eReader, so I know what really light feels like.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #71
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I use a throw pillow or my knees to support the weight. My wrists would get sore if I just held it.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #72
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
well, tried the ipad. the screen is not bad. reflection is not too bad of a problem, since i can crank up the contrast to use with anti-glare-reflection protector thingey.

but the thing is, try reading a pdf like a book or kindledx, it is considerably heavier. I underestimated it's weight. don't get me wrong, the weight has no competition amongst the tablet peers. But ipad is not there yet as an ebook reader.

so now I'm left without any ebook reader, impatiently waiting for readers from Acer or the upcoming windows slates and wishing amazon would add Wifi to kindle DX
With the risk of being called a troll, I do not consider iPads e-readers but a tablet and multipurpose device which, as usual, Apple initiated and created an non-existing market with it. Now most companies want to make one, including the one I work for .... I would say like Bezos, "A me too" product.

So in my opinion, holding an iPad and read for hours is not more comfortable than reading with a Nook 1st generation or even a Kindle DX.

Now, I found interesting than holding a Kindle DX is more comfortable (for me) than holding a Nook Color, even though Kindle DX is heavier I think; weight's distribution and center of gravity play a big role on all these electronic devices.

iPad are really good for reading PDFs though, no doubts about it.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-21-2010 at 10:24 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #73
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post

This is so freaking nice! hahaha...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

That is a nice stand to hold an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #75
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
You can read pdfs with both dx and iPad pretty well, but on an iPad, the ability to annotate and file organize blows the dx away.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote