Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #46
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
The iPad is heavier than my old Kindle 2, and yet I find it more comfortable. I couldn't tell you how I hold it when I'm reading; I unconcsciously shift it around to whatever's best suited for how I'm sitting/reclining at the time while my attention is absorbed by the book I'm engrossed in. I've read nearly 30 novels on it now, plus countless pages if web forums and Instapapered articles. The only improvement I'm longing for is a display as amazing as the iPhone 4's!
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #47
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I have used mine on train and tube in London and observed a number of others doing the same as well. Most seem to be reading rather than using other more "active" apps. If the tube is too crowded though there is no room to read on iPad.
I tend to read while on public transport, just because I am far too old to be publicly playing tower defence games or dizzeepad (which in old money is frogger) or any 'childish' game!

I have to save games for at home and do respectable grown-up things when I'm out and about!

And it's true, the iPad is too big for when everyone is packed in on the tube like sardines, that's what the sony 505 was designed for.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #48
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Since an opened books will spread the weight more than an iPad I think it is easier to hold a book with the same weight. I tested with a hardcover book and holding it without opening it and it was rather inconvenient and felt much heavier than when holding it opened.
I find the iPad FAR more holdable than the typical hard back book that I read (I read thickish books). At least I CAN hold the iPad in one hand, I can't hold a hard back book open with one hand.

I hated when the only option for a book I wanted to read was hard back.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #49
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
One of the big advantages in terms of reading books for me is (no matter if on my Sony or on my ipad), that when I need to lay down my book, I don't have to worry that some pages turn over or that the book closes itself.
Mostly I forgot putting a bookmark in.
Surely I remembered which chapter I had just finished, if I was in the middle of a chapter, finding the page I left off was cumbersome.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #50
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Rumor of new smaller iPads on the way

I don't know if this has already been posted here as I am new to this forum, but in case it hasn't, there is a rumor about two new smaller versions of the iPad being put out --one with a 5.6" screen, and one with a 7" screen.

It is just a rumor at this point but something to consider if you are in the market for an ebook reader.

Here is an article that mentions it:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defaul...ad+oled+tablet

-Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #51
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I got a Kindle because some books were making my wrist hurt. Kindle fixed that problem completely, but when I read a whole book on the Ipad, it came back.

Also, I like to hold the Kindle one handed in my left hand mostly, on the Ipad (as with a regular book) I need my right hand to turn the page. That's probably just getting used to it though, Kindle took me a while to get used to as well.

Also with the Ipad I get distracted from what I'm reading because there are too many other things on there.

I think Ipad will be fine on a plane where I just put it on the tray usually but for casual reading, I'll probably mostly stick to the Kindle
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #52
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
but think about the workout your wrist muscles are getting by holding that ipad. after a while you won't even notice, and you'll have the strength to fling that kindle across the room.

as for distractions on the ipad the solution is simple. just don't load up any apps, photos, music or movies and turn off networking. there won't be anything left to distract you.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #53
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginwen;
on the Ipad (as with a regular book) I need my right hand to turn the page.
In both iBooks and the Kindle app you can use your left hand to turn the page by swiping a little from right to left on the left side of the screen. Also, you can go into Settings->iBooks and tell it to go to the next page, instead of the previous page, when you tap on the left side.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #54
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
In both iBooks and the Kindle app you can use your left hand to turn the page by swiping a little from right to left on the left side of the screen. Also, you can go into Settings->iBooks and tell it to go to the next page, instead of the previous page, when you tap on the left side.
Thanks, I'll try that next time I read a book on it.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-25-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #55
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
as for distractions on the ipad the solution is simple. just don't load up any apps, photos, music or movies and turn off networking. there won't be anything left to distract you.
Now where's the fun in that?!?!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #56
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad is actually a very nice bookreader; these days, I find myself using it in preference to my eInk devices. It's especially nice for marking text when proofreading - much faster to do on the iPad than on eInk readers.
Harry, what's your reader of choice? I use a mix of Stanza, Readme, Kindle, and iAnnotate. I really like the rendering of iBooks, but with no "night mode" and inability to get ePUB's into it via wireless, I find that I am using it less and less.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use iBooks for reading my own books; Kindle for bought books from Amazon. I like iBooks a lot - I just turn the brightness right down when reading at night.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #58
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use iBooks for reading my own books; Kindle for bought books from Amazon. I like iBooks a lot - I just turn the brightness right down when reading at night.
Thanks!

My wife buys a lot of Kindle content, so I do find myself in the Kindle app most of the time. Since I use calibre, most of my non-Kindle stuff gets opened in Stanza. I wish the Kindle app had more control over the night control (customizable themes) and I also wish it had the two-page view in landscape mode, like in iBooks. I know some people hate it, but I rather like it.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #59
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Harry, what's your reader of choice? I use a mix of Stanza, Readme, Kindle, and iAnnotate. I really like the rendering of iBooks, but with no "night mode" and inability to get ePUB's into it via wireless, I find that I am using it less and less.
I apologise if this has been mentioned before, but the iPad has a system-wide "night mode" (white-on-black, yes?) in its general settings. In that same place you can assign the "triple click/home" setting to access this, and change it back. So, when I'm in iBooks I press the Home button three times and get a "night mode" that works for me.

I don't know if that'd work for you though. It certainly wouldn't solve the epub-via-wireless issue you have.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #60
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I apologise if this has been mentioned before, but the iPad has a system-wide "night mode" (white-on-black, yes?) in its general settings. In that same place you can assign the "triple click/home" setting to access this, and change it back. So, when I'm in iBooks I press the Home button three times and get a "night mode" that works for me.

I don't know if that'd work for you though. It certainly wouldn't solve the epub-via-wireless issue you have.

Cheers,
Marc
That's pretty cool, I never knew that it had that and a lot of times when I'm reading whether at night or day I wish that the text was white on black. I just wish that switching it didn't mess up the icons and other colors in the applications because I'd probably leave it on all the time. Thanks
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote