Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
ultimate weight comparison:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/04/...ight-matters-1
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
The problem I would have with IPAD or any ereader is as I'm getting tired, as sometimes happens when I read, and if I start to dose off in bookstore or home, I drop the device.
So, with my sony 505 I attach a little camera-type hand cord around my finger/or hand so if it starts to fall, it stays in my hand.
With a book , if it falls , no problem, but I wouldn't want an IPAD falling as I nod off.
Books can get heavy too, but they are not made of glass!
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use a plate stand on my end table also, and it looks nice when I leave the photo slideshow running. Fortunately, for reading and everything else, I have grown a nice plump pillow to prop it against while holding it. FINALLY a reason not to do crunches!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Very nice! Picture's worth a thousand words - that's for sure.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
mellina 52
Enthusiast
mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505. IPAD
I'm with you DixieGal. I have that same nice plump pillow.
mellina 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
The thing about the weight is that if it weighed less, we'd all be complaining about the battery life being too short. For an LCD device with a 10 hour battery life, the weight is more than reasonable.

Having said that, it's still too heavy to hold up for any length of time. Whether this is a problem for you will depend on how you like to sit when you read. For me, I'm usually sitting or reclining, and I either have it on my lap or I'm holding it by the top with the bottom resting on a surface. For reading at the table, I use the stand feature of my Apple case.

Beyond that, it's all about tradeoffs. A Kindle will be a LOT lighter, but it's a very different kind of device. Personally, I found that when I was using my Kindle, I was also carrying around my iPhone for the other things I do on it. Now, I just use my iPad so I only have one device being moved around.

Of course, that only works until one of my preschoolers insists on playing a game... :-)
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Would be more fair to compare it to the same device class -> real e-book (eink) readers like the Sony Reader (and others).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
If a device is too heavy for someone, it just is, I figure. You can prop it, which eliminates the holding problem. Comparing its weight won't help. If I can't hold a hardback, it will not help me to know that even heavier objects exist, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
think of the workout you're getting holding it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I found it a tad on the heavy side to start with but I've got used to it. And like others I found there's usually some way to prop it up for late a night reading sessions.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad is actually a very nice bookreader; these days, I find myself using it in preference to my eInk devices. It's especially nice for marking text when proofreading - much faster to do on the iPad than on eInk readers.
Not to mention it supports a lot of the other competitors book stores. I think except for Sony although maybe you can use Txtr for their drm books. It's like a universal remote for ebooks.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #27
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Not to mention it supports a lot of the other competitors book stores. I think except for Sony although maybe you can use Txtr for their drm books. It's like a universal remote for ebooks.
And this is where it blows the competition away. It no longer matters what store I buy from, I have ONE device to read them all.

My poor Kindle. I think I've read on it for perhaps three hours since the iPad arrived. Now that I have the iPhone 4, the Kindle doesn't even get to leave the house. The retina screen is plenty clear enough to read comfortably on.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
And this is where it blows the competition away. It no longer matters what store I buy from, I have ONE device to read them all.

My poor Kindle. I think I've read on it for perhaps three hours since the iPad arrived. Now that I have the iPhone 4, the Kindle doesn't even get to leave the house. The retina screen is plenty clear enough to read comfortably on.
When I first lifted an iPad (display model in a Best Buy), my immediate impression was to think ... "whoa, that is heavy!". That was when I decided not to get one - I did buy one for my wife, who fell in love with hers overnight.

As I got the chance to use hers (and not enough!) - I changed my mind about a lot of things (including the weight) and got my own. (My wife shares many things with me - as it turned out with the iPad... not so much).

And now my Sony rests all alone, forlorn and abandoned on a shelf in my den. The more I read with my iPad, the more I like to read with my iPad. I blew through my last book in a weekend.

Weight problem? What weight problem?

(seriously, I have found many many creative ways to prop it)
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
When I first lifted an iPad (display model in a Best Buy), my immediate impression was to think ... "whoa, that is heavy!".
lol, I did the same at the Apple Store...it was both smaller than I imagined, and heavier than I imagined.

But I got used to the weight very quickly...just doesn't bother my usage at all. Certainly not as portable as my Sony 505 was, of course (which is...somewhere around here...)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Would be more fair to compare it to the same device class -> real e-book (eink) readers like the Sony Reader (and others).
Comparing it with the actual books, mags, etc. is also a completely valid comparison and probably one that is less easy to obtain since companies tend to list the weight of gadgets a lot more than they do books.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote