Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Calibre Settings and CSS

Some questions about Calibre's "Look and Feel" and "Page Setup" settings vs the "Extra CSS" field. My understanding is that the Look and Feel and Page Setup settings take precedence over the Extra CSS. Is that correct? For instance, I am trying to add left-margin, right-margin, etc values into the CSS but they are not taking effect because there are margin settings in the Page Setup page. So I have to change them there. And there is no way to "not set" a margin value on the Page Setup page. It seems like there should be a "none" or "inherit" value there.

Is this also true for font size and line height settings? The settings in Calibre take precedence over the Extra CSS?

I would like to get "my" stylesheet all fixed up and just paste it in once for every title I'm converting, not have to change settings here and there.

I also tried changing the settings in the "Preferences" under Common Options. But the changes didn't seem to take effect. My custom settings, including the Extra CSS, are displayed when I view them in Preferences. But when I go to convert a book, the default settings are still there and my custom settings are not. I have tried restarting the app and I still don't see my custom settings.

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you have already converted a book calibre will remember your previous settings. You can reset to the defaults you set in Preferences on the Convert - Look&Feel page, RestoreDefaults button bottom left. Then convert again.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thank you, Jackie_w, that's very helpful about how to get the default settings to apply!

Can anyone address the precedence rules of Calibre settings vs extra css, and how to "turn off" certain Calibre settings in favor of CSS?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Everything is basically merged, but the 'remove paragraph spacing' and 'font size rescaling' are both things that will usually 'win' over the extra_css options that conflict. Disable both of those and you should be ok for the vast majority of cases, though depending on the original book formatting you may want font size rescaling enabled. It usually does just fine, but if there are drop-caps/raised-caps the font size rescaling could shift those around.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote