Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Teejoo
Teejoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Some issues with my new Libra 2

Hi all,
After using a kindle for years and not liking the extra glass layer on the new one I bought the Kobo Libra 2. I use Calibre to organise and transfer my books to the reader.
Already patched the Home screen to make the covers bigger and get rid of the third row. Also discovered how to get the Series info filles by plugging the reader in again. So far so good.

There are some other thinks I couldn't find a working solution:
  • Can’t get rid of the quick tour on the home screen. This is simply stupid and takes a lot of space.
  • When I sent a book with multiple authors using '&' , Only the first author is visibele. So Preston & Child is displayed as Preston. When you check the content on the device with Calibre it says Preston & Child. When I use the option ‘updating metadata in device library’ in the KoboUtilities it corrects this and you see Preston & Child.. I'm almost sure it worked correct the first few times I did some test transfers, but have no ideau what I did that changed this behavioir.
  • Covers are sometimes scaled way too small. Don’t know how to correct this. It seems a bit random and the covers resolutions are big enough. I read multiple topics about this but found no real solution. On my Kindles this was never an issue. In Calibre they are also all full size.

Software version is 4.30.18838

Hope you have some ideas!

Last edited by Teejoo; 12-08-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Teejoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Multiple authors - for a Kobo, they must be formatted "Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child". With a comma, not with &.

The other issues - frankly don't know, as I don't have these issues.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-08-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Teejoo

Thanks, I will try this. Is there a reason why an e-reader can't handle the & sign?
Old 12-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejoo View Post
Thanks, I will try this. Is there a reason why an e-reader can't handle the & sign?
Someone wiser than me should answer that.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Multiple authors - for a Kobo, they must be formatted "Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child". With a comma, not with &.

The other issues - frankly don't know, as I don't have these issues.
I have this issue also. Where do you change & to , ? In calibre?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Nonya
Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD
I got rid of the "tour" junk and the third row on my Libra 2 by patching the software to remove it using Kobopatcher.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I have this issue also. Where do you change & to , ? In calibre?
Yes. As I want the books in my main library to display the usual &, I created a separate library for copies of those books I send to my Kobos (about a tenth of my whole library). There the authors are separated by comma.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. As I want the books in my main library to display the usual &, I created a separate library for copies of those books I send to my Kobos (about a tenth of my whole library). There the authors are separated by comma.
Hmmm, doesn't seem to work correctly for me. It treats it as a single name. Which then makes the Author Sort incorrect. Will it be incorrect in Kobo also?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	child.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	190701   Click image for larger version

Name:	child2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	190702  
Old 12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
Teejoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
I got rid of the "tour" junk and the third row on my Libra 2 by patching the software to remove it using Kobopatcher.
I also used kobo patch and selected 'Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen". Which one removes the quick tour?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm, doesn't seem to work correctly for me. It treats it as a single name. Which then makes the Author Sort incorrect. Will it be incorrect in Kobo also?
No, this should be correct for Kobo.

Edit: yes, I checked on my Sage. That's the way it works on a Kobo.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-08-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
No, this should be correct for Kobo.

Edit: yes, I checked on my Sage. That's the way it works on a Kobo.
Ok, thank you. I will give it a try when I get back home.

It would be nice if there was an auto-substitute when transferring the book and metadata. Maybe it could be an option in Kobo Utilities? Is that possible @davidfor?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, thank you. I will give it a try when I get back home.

It would be nice if there was an auto-substitute when transferring the book and metadata. Maybe it could be an option in Kobo Utilities? Is that possible @davidfor?
I guess you could use a metadata plugboard for this. But I don't know what the template would be.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Whrn you delted the third row on the homescreen, did the other rows reformatted to fill the space or is the third row just went blank with the other rows remaining the same size?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Whrn you delted the third row on the homescreen, did the other rows reformatted to fill the space or is the third row just went blank with the other rows remaining the same size?
They reformatted.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
They reformatted.
Thank you, may i ask a favor? If you have this patch can you post a picture of the homescreen? Thank you
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote