Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
The_book
Zealot
The_book began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some question for building Calibre dependencies

I am trying to build Calibre (I know that Calibre can be debugged by setting environment variables, I just want to try). But I find even just building the dependencies is difficult. The following are some of my questions.
I see that a dependency source.json is provided, do I need to download all the source code and compile them one by one? Or there is a better way to do this?
If I only compile Calibre for Linux, do I need to download items that do not contain linux in the 'os' item?
Are there more instructions on how to build Calibre's dependencies? I am a little confused now.
The_book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to build the dependencies. Just install the development versions of them via your distro's package manager. And you need all the entries in source.json that either dont have os or have os with linux in it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont need to build the dependencies. Just install the development versions of them via your distro's package manager. And you need all the entries in source.json that either dont have os or have os with linux in it.
Ok.
By the way, which Linux system is recommended for compiling Calibre?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_book View Post
Ok.
By the way, which Linux system is recommended for compiling Calibre?
Arch is best
Old 12-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #5
The_book
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Arch is best
some packages' version in arch is higher than required in source.json. Do I need to install the version required in source.json, or higher is also ok?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Higher is fine. calibre is tested in CI under current Arch on every commit.