Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
mihail_bc
Enthusiast
mihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Any update on Kobo Aura HD screen replacement?

Hi all, I was one of the stupids people that bumped into this 2 dimes company, and am wondering if someone else with my exact problem (broken Aura HD screen) found a decent/sure replacement. I have heard they are selling some on aliexpress but the price is kind of high for a blind result. Love to hear your thoughts. Kobo washed their hands, it was out of warranty and they don't care. They don't offer any discount nor they are willing to sell another screen. This happened years before and I still have an aura hd sitting there. Any ideas?

thanks all!
mihail_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thing is, Kobo no longer sells the Aura HD and they may not have any screen to replace yours with. I've read of some people buying the correct screen and replacing the broken screen. I've never done it as I've never broken a screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail_bc View Post
Hi all, I was one of the stupids people that bumped into this 2 dimes company, and am wondering if someone else with my exact problem (broken Aura HD screen) found a decent/sure replacement. I have heard they are selling some on aliexpress but the price is kind of high for a blind result. Love to hear your thoughts. Kobo washed their hands, it was out of warranty and they don't care. They don't offer any discount nor they are willing to sell another screen. This happened years before and I still have an aura hd sitting there. Any ideas?

thanks all!
Hi, you might want to try buying this for a replacement screen. It looks like the screen still works on it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253476296981
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
Hi, you might want to try buying this for a replacement screen. It looks like the screen still works on it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253476296981
It doesn't look like the screen works or not. There's no way to be sure the screen is in good condition.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #5
mihail_bc
Enthusiast
mihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

yeah, its risky... saty away from kobo, my advice...

thnks all
Advert
Old 03-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So, you broke the screen of the device and it's Kobo's fault? Or that they didn't magically extend the warranty for you mishap? Or is it their fault that the screen is the most expensive single component in the device and that makes the economics of replacing the screen questionable?

Quite a few people have reported replacing a screen. Most seem to get them from aliexpress. They found the screen by using the part number printed on their current screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon doesn't sell replacement parts for their devices either.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

thnks all
How is user error risky? It's your fault the screen broke. A Kobo Reader is no more fragile than a Kindle or a nook. They all use eInk screens with glass substrates and you are the one who broke your screen.

You should not be pissed at Kobo for not replacing it under warranty. You should be pissed at yourself for breaking the screen.

Let's say you have a car and you drop a brick on the windshield and the car manufacturer won't replace the windshield for free. Would you be pissed at the car manufacturer for this or pissed at yourself for dropping the brick? Would you even expect a free windshield? It's the same thing with your Kobo.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
yalp
yalp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura HD
Replaced one...

Hi,

My son dropped my wife's Kobo Aura HD...

I looked on AliExpress, brought this screen : ED068OG1

The one I brought exactly: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...815792920.html

It's not cheap but still cheaper than a new Kobo, and I like to fix things...

Used iFixit instructions from here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kobo+Au...lacement/96135

EDIT: Removed wrong statement about screen beeing the same as the Kobo Aura H2O. Thanks JSWolf.

Last edited by yalp; 03-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.
yalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #10
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

@ Yalp

thanks, I will check it out

@ all others

about Kobo's fault: I have replaced my Aura HD with a Kindle, not the last generation though, and even though its been used for a few years, its still in top shape! The kobo I bought lasted a few months and it broked without being in direct sunlight, without being dropped etc. I just got it out from his protective cover and after a few seconds after it started the screen broke. Whats my fault in this? I think it was a low cost model! Besides, Kobo treated me (its customer) like crap. And yeah I think they should have provided a solution like a discount, a screen to be bought by me without searching the internet. Amazon may not replace screens but they talk more polite and they do offer at least 20% discount for a new product so you wont be left with junk. THEY have the millions, its their concept, so they must provide decent alternatives. I see you disagree.

But how is it my fault the screen sudently broke?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's most likely that the damage itself happened at some earlier time, but the reader continued to work ok. Anything like being in bag or pocket and some other object putting pressure against the cover which pressed against the screen, occurrences along those lines are the most common causes of screen breaks. Also excessive heat from leaving it inside locked cars is another common cause. Again, the damage may not immediately show up on the reader, but it's there. But the screen didn't just instantly break without some damage having been done to it at some point.

Kindle screens are subject to the same issues, but their customer service is better as you noted (they seem willing to do anything to keep customers to themselves). But I've had many readers since 2010 and every one of them still have screens in pristine condition and are working perfectly, including 2 types of Kobo readers. And I take my reader with me everywhere, everytime I leave the house, it's used quite often.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalp View Post
Hi,

My son dropped my wife's Kobo Aura HD...

I looked on AliExpress, brought this screen (exact same model as Kobo Aura H2O) : ED068OG1

The one I brought exactly: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...815792920.html

It's not cheap but still cheaper than a new Kobo, and I like to fix things...

Used iFixit instructions from here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kobo+Au...lacement/96135
Sorry, but this won't work. You cannot replace the screen on the HD with a screen from the H2O. So saying it worked is wrong.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
yalp
yalp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but this won't work. You cannot replace the screen on the HD with a screen from the H2O. So saying it worked is wrong.
Hi JSWolf, you are right: the Kobo Aura H2O uses a ED068TG1 (E-ink Carta) not a ED068OG1 (E-ink Pearl HD), I shoud not have relied on some random Chinese merchant information...

But you can still buy ED068OG1 screens to fix an old Kobo Aura HD which is great given the age of the device.

Edit: my sources wikipedia and a very complete russian site about e-ink displays

Last edited by yalp; 03-16-2018 at 01:04 PM.
yalp is offline   Reply With Quote