Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
This book is not valid!

I have been downloading free eBooks from Tor in HTML format. I have just tried to read them in my Cybook3 and they all give an error message "This book is not valid". They work fine on Firefox and IE, and convert to .rb. Before I start experimenting to find where the trouble is I thought I'd ask here. Anyone know?

James the puzzled

Last edited by James Bryant; 06-14-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Gen3 only supports a subset of HTML - perhaps the book contains something that it doesn't like. Easiest solution is probably to use "MobiPocket Creator" to convert the book to MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
James -- Each Friday when I get the e-mail from TOR, I download all 3 formats. The MobiPocket .prc file that they deliver works just fine in my Kindle and should work OK in your Cybook. I keep the HTML file for backup and the PDF to refer to if the formatting in the MobiPocket book looks strange for any reason. Some SF books rely on font changes to indicate telepathic conversations or alien languages or whatever and the Kindle predominantly uses only one font.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Gen3 only supports a subset of HTML - perhaps the book contains something that it doesn't like. Easiest solution is probably to use "MobiPocket Creator" to convert the book to MobiPocket format.
Easiest solution is to use the Mobipocket format download from Tor
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
That's what I did with some books in HTML format that gave me the same error. Firefox, IE, uBook and FBReader had no issues with them, but my Cybook did.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Quote:
This solves the immediate problem - and I shall (and thanks to Elsi, bwaldron & mbovenka for similar suggestions).

But I am still curious about wottinell the Cybook does not like about these HTML files. Experiment is called for (but not while I'm in city/country per day mode).

James - who flew from Vienna to Boston yesterday
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post
But I am still curious about wottinell the Cybook does not like about these HTML files. Experiment is called for (but not while I'm in city/country per day mode).
Could it be frames or an unsupported doctype?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I would check that the html is correct. I think you get this error message if you for example do not have some of the top structural tags.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
try the following.. run the HTML code through Mobipocket Publisher and it should then be OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote