Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
e.a.c
seeker
e.a.c began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage KV9013 FW5.8.11
How to change homescreen on an unregisterable Kindle

Hi there!
I'd really wished that my 1st post to be with a given advice, not for asking one, but... that's life!

So!...
I have a KV I've bought myself from a confiscated goods store, for a very good price, I'd say.
But the good price had it's own price as well - this Kindle can't be registered on Amazon.
I'm intending to tell Amazon the entire story and to ask for help registering this device, but something is telling me I'll not have as much as a success there...

Anyway...

What I'm asking you (and if it's already asked, although I've searched around here, then please, a moderator move my post) is:
Is there any chance to modify the homescreen, or better said to get rid of it and to have only my library, without having to register to Amazon?

So that, instead of this (and thank's Michael for the screenshots):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	246
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	159949

to look like this:

Name:	image.png
Views:	228
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	159950

Thank you anybody who would help me... and even those who don't...but would wish to

All the best!

Last edited by issybird; 11-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
e.a.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Not sure how much luck you are going to have if the device was reported stolen with Amazon, but getting the screen to look like you want is easy. From the home screen, access Settings, then Device Options, then Advanced Options. You will see a toggle for Home Screen View. Turn that off.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Only problem is, that menu path might not be available until it is registered.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
e.a.c
seeker

Bingo!
That's right, my friend. I've seen some videos and read a little...
I'vs seen that "howto", but I don't have those nice options you're talking about
If you have some other ideas... I'm open...
It's a long way until I'll get another one, so... I have time, with this issue.
In the meantime... I'll read

All the best!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.a.c View Post
Bingo!
That's right, my friend. I've seen some videos and read a little...
I'vs seen that "howto", but I don't have those nice options you're talking about
If you have some other ideas... I'm open...
It's a long way until I'll get another one, so... I have time, with this issue.
In the meantime... I'll read

All the best!
If you will enable Private Messages in your "User CP" I can send you some information that may help you.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you will enable Private Messages in your "User CP" I can send you some information that may help you.
Just as an FYI, some newbies can't access Private Messages; it's something in the board software. The restriction is lifted after several posts. The OP could go post in the Lounge to get his post count up, if that's the issue.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an FYI, some newbies can't access Private Messages; it's something in the board software. The restriction is lifted after several posts. The OP could go post in the Lounge to get his post count up, if that's the issue.
That makes sense of something that seemed strange to me.

Click the nickname -
If the user has intentionally disabled PM in their control panel, then the "send private message" in the dropdown will not be there.

If the user is in the situation you describe (too few posts to be allowed to use PM) the the "send private message" is in the dropdown, but it just does not work (go to an error page).

And while you are deal with the site coding people -
I want my re-sizable text entry box back!
Yeah, this one.
There used to be a handle in the lower right corner to stretch this text box out to a usable size, now all gone.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That makes sense of something that seemed strange to me.

Click the nickname -
If the user has intentionally disabled PM in their control panel, then the "send private message" in the dropdown will not be there.

If the user is in the situation you describe (too few posts to be allowed to use PM) the the "send private message" is in the dropdown, but it just does not work (go to an error page).

And while you are deal with the site coding people -
I want my re-sizable text entry box back!
Yeah, this one.
There used to be a handle in the lower right corner to stretch this text box out to a usable size, now all gone.
That may be your browser, I have that option in chrome 61.0.3163.100 ( windows 10 )
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
e.a.c
seeker

@issybird: thanks for the graphics, I didn't want to load the site here...
@knc1: well sir, I've managed somehow to disable PM, but not intentionally
Now it should work.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
e.a.c
seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
That may be your browser, I have that option in chrome 61.0.3163.100 ( windows 10 )
Firefox v56.0.2 too

Name:	as.PNG
Views:	192
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	159952
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
@issybird: thanks for the graphics, I didn't want to load the site here...
@knc1: well sir, I've managed somehow to disable PM, but not intentionally
Now it should work.
You need to enable not disable pm.
If you need more posts, we desperately need posters in the "Last person to post here thread. " We are aiming for a milestone post.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
e.a.c
seeker

Not now, but when I've registered, I've disabled PMs.
Now, better said when I've post the answer above, I've already re-enabled PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Not now, but when I've registered, I've disabled PMs.
Now, better said when I've post the answer above, I've already re-enabled PM.
I was really hoping you needed a few posts. Yes, that was a blatant attempt to get posts in a thread.
I hope you get your kindle working.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
e.a.c
seeker

Well, I'll answer myself to my question.
But don't get me wrong. It's not my brain who made this possible.
It was a tip from a good man plus the knowledge from the many, here, on our beloved forum.
So the solution was a fake registration. And now I have what I've asked for.
The only problem is that together with this, I've received a small present: I can't read my books, because of a nice error. 🙂

When (if) I'll get to solve this, I'll let you know.
Maybe there will be others interested as well.
Or, why not, maybe there is someone else who already has the answer and wants to share...

All the best!

Sent from my Asus using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #15
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
I have heard of solutions around this websire

If you look up how to fake register your kindle, it is here on this forum, from recent to a while ago. Something to do with modifying a system file or using a Amazon redirection proxy. Good luck.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote