Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
please please release the skiff

I cant wait anylonger. I dont want to reflow pdf.

when is this baby coming out?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
that's the one I'm waiting for........it's a nice looking gadget isn't it
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
w1nt3r
w1nt3r began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yup yup.. I have a Sony 505, but I have been dreaming about large screen ereader for all my manga reading... ^_^
w1nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
Yeah, Im getting sick of fooking waiting too... everyday the kindleDX becomes more and more appealing. I almost bought one today.
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

dont give in, wait for skiffy.
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nt3r View Post
Yup yup.. I have a Sony 505, but I have been dreaming about large screen ereader for all my manga reading... ^_^
But that can be perfectly done on an iRex device. You don't read A4 sized manga tôbon quite often, do you?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
But that can be perfectly done on an iRex device. You don't read A4 sized manga tôbon quite often, do you?
Yea, Irex would work fine.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
oncdoc
Addict

im tempted to get the ipad just to start reading pdfs. skiff would be better. what is the weight difference anyone know?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
w1nt3r
w1nt3r began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
Yea, Irex would work fine.
Yup, but I thought might as well go with the bigger version, and be able to read my technical books on it. Don't have budget for both ereaders.. >_<
w1nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
oncdoc
Addict

anyword on skiff ? vaporware like soo many things?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
hoboslobobabe
hoboslobobabe began at the beginning.

Device: who knows
Hello, just read the following, several sites reported it.
http://gizmodo.com/5563501/skiff-the...reader-is-dead
To make it short, noone really knows what the future is.
Skiff's reader platform itself was sold, the hardware of the ereader wasn't.
And the guy who owns the rights of it is planning to get it in production, whatever that means, since it seemed it would be past prototype stage and could be a succesful reference model in general.
Perhaps, it would have been too expensive to find enough customers?
So basically, that's why it's perhaps gone for good.
At least in the near future.
hoboslobobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
I was informed of this article that suggest skiff may still be alive
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...7hFiAD9GB8J1O0
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
hoboslobobabe
hoboslobobabe began at the beginning.

Device: who knows
I think the comment more focusses on NewsCorp buying the E-Reading Platform Skiff From Hearst and neglects to mention that NewsCorp only bought the platform and not the ereader hardware itself.
At least that is what I read at other places.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20007666-93.html
Quote:
News Corp. announced Monday that it has purchased Skiff from Hearst--but only the publisher's e-reader software platform. The device itself remains the property of Hearst, but it doesn't want it, either: I'm told the publisher is trying to find a buyer.
But he, it's a good device, well at least the prototype seemed to be, at a reasonable price it would be a big success imho.
Large format, Color (2nd prototype), flexible, what more could you ask for .
Well, more flexible maybe so you can actually fold it.
Yet one key point in flexibility is that it makes the device less vulnerable to breaking, at least that is my understanding, so that would already be the case.
I guess reduced weight could still be an attribute that should be worked on, the lighter the better, if those devices weigh somewhere around a pound they are a little too much on the heavy side I think.

Eventually devices like that will come, it's a matter of time, so if it's skiff or something else doesnt really make a difference does it.
I am pretty sure that flexible color e-ink readers are the way to go, you can hardly underestimate the potential of that can you?
And the industry, especially corps. behind newspapers and magazines as well as the electronics producers must know that, well they better should.
But the way it looks now, skiff or any other similar device won't be introduced to the market in the next 2 years, that's apparently only my personal prognosis .
And frankly, it could very well be another 4 years if you ask me.
From prototype to a device that's market-ready, reasonably priced, more or less free of crucial bugs, it's a long way isn't it.

The question "what will the price of those gadgets be" still has to be answered.
I'm afraid the 1st devices will be pretty expensive.
Considering the not-so cheap prices of the available large format devices that are b/w and non-flexible.
I suppose developping a device like that, producing it (hopefully without exploiting factory workers) and creating a good infrastructure for publishing material on it, is pretty costly.

Greets
Hobo

Last edited by hoboslobobabe; 06-19-2010 at 06:59 PM.
hoboslobobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
this is what i m waiting for
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote