Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer 30 41.67%
The Tide Mill by Richard Herley 7 9.72%
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre 11 15.28%
Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan 15 20.83%
Soul Identity by Denis Batchelder 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #76
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
How exactly does this book club thing work?
BTW, thank you, ToeKnee for the info regarding Books on Board!
Each month we pick a book to read and discuss. People suggest books for nomination based on some specification for that month (genre and such, last month it was 'mystery' and this month I think it MR member authors(?)). If a suggested book have three people supporting it, it get on the voting and then we vote - like in this thread.

Then we read the book and discuss it, and next month it starts over
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #77
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Okay, where is this discussion going to take place? In here?
I'm starting on FF, it looks like it's going to be the winner.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Okay, where is this discussion going to take place? In here?
I'm starting on FF, it looks like it's going to be the winner.
Yes, here in the Reading Reco section, but not in this thread. On the last week of the month I will create the discussion thread.

The most current book club threads are always stickied to the top of the reading reco section message list.

Also, you can filter the forum list using the Book Club prefix to easily find current and past club threads.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #79
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well it looks like FF is going to win, while I didn't vote for this book I was looking forward towards reading it, I thought it would be a fun read. However once I found out this book was $15, I will not be buying the book. Yes I've payed much more for Non-fiction, but for casual reading this is just too expensive.

I wounder as more people figure out this is a $15 book will they balk at buying the book. You can get the book cheaper at the following locations$10 @ B&N $8 @ AMZN.

Anyhow have fun all I'll join you all on the next read.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #80
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I wounder as more people figure out this is a $15 book will they balk at buying the book.
Hopefully not (at least hopefully not the people that voted for it). That's why I posted the pricing on the first page of this thread.

I really do wish Macmillan (St. Martin's, Tor, etc.) would quit charging $14 list price for books that are out for $7.99 in paperback though.

FWIW the book's been out for many years so it might be available from used shops, although with the TV series they may be being bought up.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #81
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Hopefully not (at least hopefully not the people that voted for it).
Yeah that would be nice if those that voted where the ones committed, but I've known of folks who voted who had no intention of readying any book.

It would be very cool if you had 30+ people participate in the book of the month, I think that would be the largest turn out yet.

Quote:
I really do wish Macmillan (St. Martin's, Tor, etc.) would quit charging $14 list price for books that are out for $7.99 in paperback though.
Yes so do I... but that is also part of the reason why I will not buy the book.

I've tried to read a paper book recently but I can't cozy up to it. I miss the smell of my leather bound ereadr and the texture of the cold steel buttons. You lose that with a paper book

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried to read a paper book recently but I can't cozy up to it. I miss the smell of my leather bound ereadr and the texture of the cold steel buttons. You lose that with a paper book
LOL, I know what you mean.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #83
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

=X=

Yeah! I'm getting that way. I had to pull out a couple of pbooks from my library over the weekend and when I opened them up the dank stuffy paperish smell was almost overwhelming. I was glad to get back to my 505 after that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, poll is closed folks. Get to reading that bad boy.

I was just watching the premier of the TV show on Hulu... thinking this is going to be a great read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #85
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Well it looks like FF is going to win, while I didn't vote for this book I was looking forward towards reading it, I thought it would be a fun read. However once I found out this book was $15, I will not be buying the book. Yes I've payed much more for Non-fiction, but for casual reading this is just too expensive.

I wounder as more people figure out this is a $15 book will they balk at buying the book. You can get the book cheaper at the following locations$10 @ B&N $8 @ AMZN.

Anyhow have fun all I'll join you all on the next read.

=X=
I'm not sure I understand this. I just looked at Amazon, and it is $7.99 at Amazon whether we buy the paperback or Kindle Edition.

Paperback

Kindle Edition

Since it is the same price, why not just buy it from Amazon, and if you don't think it is worth keeping, donate it to your local library later? Shipping is free too.

Also, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that although production costs are higher for paper books, that Amazon and/or the publisher made less money by being greedy with the Kindle price.

Still not worth it? If not, I have to presume that you are just mad it is not available for $8 on your particular reader

I'm going to buy this one as my first non-public domain book. Much as I love Dickens, the Old English is a lot more demanding to read than modern stuff.

I may even just buy the paperback to hit them a bit for being greedy. If we all did this, they would eventually make the eBook prices lower than print. If we continue to buy eBooks even though they are priced the same or higher, we're telling them that the extra convenience is worth money to us.

Last edited by JeremyZ; 10-05-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added links
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #86
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks PB. Let me see where I can find it and work it in the reading list...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I'm going to buy this one as my first non-public domain book. Much as I love Dickens, the Old English is a lot more demanding to read than modern stuff.
It can be a bit of work at times, can't it.

Quote:
I may even just buy the paperback to hit them a bit for being greedy. If we all did this, they would eventually make the eBook prices lower than print. If we continue to buy eBooks even though they are priced the same or higher, we're telling them that the extra convenience is worth money to us.
Or they'll just use it as an excuse to say there isn't that much demand for ebooks.

For me personally if it's a book I want I haven't got a huge problem paying the same as the pbook costs (I just don't buy pbooks anymore). Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure I would. Of course if they were a lot cheaper I'd be buying a lot more stuff that just 'sounds good' on impulse.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Anyone want to do Verdant Skies as a second titles to discuss this month? Can we do that?

I'm half way through FlashForward and I'm thinking about reading Verdant Skies next.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #89
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I'm a bit less than halfway through Flashforward too. It is going quickly!

You should start another thread AnemicOak. A second book club book for those voracious readers who can/are willing to do two in a month.

Presumably, these books that we have to choose from are all good books. Is there a list somewhere that holds the book titles for each month, so that we can go back and pick them up as we have time?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #90
kennyc

Quote:
Anyone want to do Verdant Skies as a second titles to discuss this month? Can we do that?

I'm half way through FlashForward and I'm thinking about reading Verdant Skies next.
I've not started either one, but I'm interested, but have a ton of books on the to-read list. I hope to at least get through the chosen book.-- FF -- I still don't like the price and Verdant Skies is on my to-read list.