Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Today I went to a (B&M) Book Store at the Mall. A BooksaMillion (BAM) store.

The first thing I noticed was that parking at the mall on a late Saturday afternoon was simple and quick. A nice place maybe 10 to 15 slots down on the center row that went right to the main door of the BAM store. (I should have counted.)

The store wasn't crowded and was quiet. The racks/displays and organization were better than I had remembered.

First I went to the Magazine Racks to look for subscription coupons in the Finance/Investing section. I found a nice one for Kiplinger's Personal Finance. 2 years (24 issues) for a total of $12. (50 cents an issue) I have still only found a $10 card for a year (12 issues) subscription card for Money. (83 cents an issue)

I noticed that only Money and Kiplingers were available in paper form now from what used to be at least 6 or more general beginner type Business/Finance Magazines. For example SmartMoney magazine went to all digital back in 2012. I was looking for paper in this case. I like to read and mark them up and tag pages and ideas quickly and I have been totally redoing my Investment Portfolio since I retired and have time for a Life again.

After getting a few magazine cards, I started on my main goal "writing" also a result of time gained by my retirement. I perused the current Science Fiction books. I liked the displays. Several long racks though there were no real organization by Hard SF and Fantasy or Alien or by other consistent meme.

What really impressed me was the artwork. Gone for the most part are the old comic book type covers.

Then I selected a few new authors and their books to take home for style study and markup.

Overall it was a nice experience reminiscent of the good old book store days. I later did a few quick inquiries.
BAM is now the second largest book chain with about 260 stores. B&M [Excuse me, I meant B&N] is first with 633.

BAM ebooks don't play on the Kindle. You can't put them on a Palm or a Pocket PC either.
You can put them on Nooks, IPads, some Sony, and a regular PC.

Last edited by frahse; 08-13-2017 at 05:13 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
BAM ebooks don't play on the Kindle. You can't put them on a Palm or a Pocket PC either.
You can put them on Nooks, IPads, some Sony, and a regular PC.
And Kobo, and any device that supports Adobe DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And Kobo, and any device that supports Adobe DRM.
Or strip the DRM and Bob's your uncle.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or strip the DRM and Bob's your uncle.
Where there is a will, there is a way!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote