Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #106
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
The Collector by John Fowles is $CDN 2.99 at Amazon.ca today:
https://www.amazon.ca/Collector-John.../dp/B0081BTN0I

The price was set by the publisher (Hachette), so it may be on sale elsewhere
It's for sale at $2.99 on the Amazon US site as well. (GOOD Book!)

https://www.amazon.com/Collector-Joh...=the+collector
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #107
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Cross-posted from the Romance thread:

9 Georgette Heyer titles are 99p in today's Big Deal on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=s9_ac...d_i=5400977031

The titles are:

The Quiet Gentleman
The Talisman Ring
These Old Shades
Devil's Cub
Lady of Quality
Cotillion
Black Sheep
Sylvester
A Civil Contract
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #108
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Hacker Gran - $1.27
https://www.amazon.com/Hacker-Gran-P...dp/B07365BV1V/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #109
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sound and the Fury - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Fury-Fa...dp/B074CM54WW/
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #110
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I wonder if this is an unauthorized Kindle edition. The novel is under copyright, there's another edition, selling for $11.99 by Random House. This version doesn't list the publisher, the RH edition has revisions from 1984 based on the original manuscript, and a lot of the Amazon reviews seem to be of As I Lay Dying instead of The Sound and the Fury.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #111
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I wonder if this is an unauthorized Kindle edition. The novel is under copyright, there's another edition, selling for $11.99 by Random House. This version doesn't list the publisher, the RH edition has revisions from 1984 based on the original manuscript, and a lot of the Amazon reviews seem to be of As I Lay Dying instead of The Sound and the Fury.

The text is the novel, 'The Sound and the Fury.' In checking, it does appear that a number of reviews are, indeed, for 'As I Lay Dying.'

The corrected text edition is copyrighted 1984 by Jill Faulkner Summers, so presumably this is the original version published in 1929.

I do see the original copyright on this edition.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-25-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #112
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
It's also DRM free. But US only.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #113
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The text is the novel, 'The Sound and the Fury.' In checking, it does appear that a number of reviews are, indeed, for 'As I Lay Dying.'

The corrected text edition is copyrighted 1984 by Jill Faulkner Summers, so presumably this is the original version published in 1929.

I do see the original copyright on this edition.
It's still under copyright for another 13+ years, and it's pretty obvious that Random House has the rights to it and most if not all of the Faulkner novels. I think this is a dodgy edition and buyers run the risk of Amazon taking it away like they did with the dodgy edition of one of Orwell's novels (1984 IIRC).
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #114
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
East of Eden by John Steinbeck is currently $1.99 at Amazon US, Google Play, and Kobo. ($16.99 at B&N.)

Quote:
In his journal, Nobel Prize winner John Steinbeck called East of Eden "the first book," and indeed it has the primordial power and simplicity of myth. Set in the rich farmland of California's Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons—whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel.

The masterpiece of Steinbeck’s later years, East of Eden is a work in which Steinbeck created his most mesmerizing characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity, the inexplicability of love, and the murderous consequences of love's absence.
https://www.amazon.com/East-Eden-Joh...dp/B001BC5HXG/

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=OPy6E5ZhXs0C

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/east-of-eden-3
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #115
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's still under copyright for another 13+ years, and it's pretty obvious that Random House has the rights to it and most if not all of the Faulkner novels. I think this is a dodgy edition and buyers run the risk of Amazon taking it away like they did with the dodgy edition of one of Orwell's novels (1984 IIRC).

If you preview the book, you'll find that it has the Random House logo and the original copyright of 1929, along with the renewed copyright date of 1956 - renewed while Faulkner was still alive.

I personally don't see this as a bogus edition, unless there is something I am missing.

Back in the mid-'70s (or possibly early '80s), Random House attempted to restore the original texts on a number of his important works that had been edited when they were first published. Those texts were later restored to (in my words) his 'preferred texts'.

Over the years, I've read both versions, mainly because I love Faulkner's work.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-27-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #116
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Thank you thank you

My favorite Steinbeck title....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
East of Eden by John Steinbeck is currently $1.99 at Amazon US, Google Play, and Kobo. ($16.99 at B&N.)

https://www.amazon.com/East-Eden-Joh...dp/B001BC5HXG/

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=OPy6E5ZhXs0C

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/east-of-eden-3
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #117
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you preview the book, you'll find that it has the Random House logo and the original copyright of 1929, along with the renewed copyright date of 1956 - renewed while Faulkner was still alive.

I personally don't see this as a bogus edition, unless there is something I am missing.

Back in the mid-'70s (or possibly early '80s), Random House attempted to restore the original texts on a number of his important works that had been edited when they were first published. Those texts were later restored to (in my words) his 'preferred texts'.

Over the years, I've read both versions, mainly because I love Faulkner's work.
That means nothing, it just means that whoever scanned the book preserved that information. It looks to me that Random House has the publishing rights for Faukner's novels, and if that edition had actually been published by Random House, it would have said that the price was set by the publisher, and the publisher was Random House. I think it's just another bogus edition, and if Random House notices it and complains to Amazon, it will disappear from the Kindle libraries of the buyers, and they might get their money back.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #118
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That means nothing, it just means that whoever scanned the book preserved that information. It looks to me that Random House has the publishing rights for Faukner's novels, and if that edition had actually been published by Random House, it would have said that the price was set by the publisher, and the publisher was Random House. I think it's just another bogus edition, and if Random House notices it and complains to Amazon, it will disappear from the Kindle libraries of the buyers, and they might get their money back.

Since you feel that it is bogus, why not send a query to Random House?

It appears as if the book [the original edition] is now in the Public Domain in certain countries, Canada being one of them. (The United States of America is not one of those countries.)

From Wikisource:

"Some or all works by this author are in the public domain in the United States because they were published before January 1, 1923.

"The author died in 1962, so works by this author are also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 50 years or less. Works by this author may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works."

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-28-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #119
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

What are the copyright terms for Germany? Would Germany be relevant to this board now?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #120
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
What are the copyright terms for Germany? Would Germany be relevant to this board now?
Canada is a life+50 country, but I believe all of the EU is life+70. There is a free public domain copy of The Sound and the Fury at the Faded Page, for those of you in life+50 countries. It won't be public domain in the US until 2025, I think.

I'm not going to attempt to notify Amazon or Random House that this is probably an unauthorized edition. IMHO, they never should have retroactively extended the length of copyrighted works. Faulkner at the time of his death had the expectation that this novel would be public domain in 1986. If this is an unauthorized edition, and Random House notifies Amazon, Amazon has a history of removing them from purchaser's Kindle libraries.