Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #61
mysheepb
mysheepb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
KSM disappeared after update to 3.19.5613

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a Kobo Aura H2O, and I have installed KSM 08 under firmware 3.18, together with KoReader. Everything was working fine. Today I installed update to 3.19.5613, using the "handle update" from KSM. After the update, KSM will not start anymore. Power off then power on only gives me nickle.

How can I get KSM back? Should I reinstall KSM?

Thank you for your help.
mysheepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:26 AM   #62
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysheepb View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum.
Welcome!
Quote:
How can I get KSM back? Should I reinstall KSM?
It is more convenient to reinstall only those files that have been overwritten by the firmware update. Extract KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive and copy it into .kobo.
Next time please select "install partial update" instead of "install update" when installing a firmware update.

Last edited by tshering; 04-07-2017 at 03:17 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #63
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware 3.19.5613 replaces the font file Ryumin.otf with KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf, and changes in the database the reading font family "A-OTF Ryumin Pr6N R-KL" to "KBJ-TsukuMin Pr6N RB". If this creates problems for you (as it does for some users) you might try the following:
  • 1) Extract Ryumin.otf from an older FW package and copy it to /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts
  • 2) run the uploaded script tsukuMin2ryumin.sh

at 1): You can do this for instance by using the update mechanism (KoboRoot.tgz), or by the KSM function "copy sysmirror to sys.sh" (cf. this post)
at 2): You can copy the script for instance into .adds/kbmenu_user/scripts, and run it by selecting "user scripts" > "tsukuMin2ryumin.sh".

Edit: You can back up your database by selecting "tools" > "back up and restore" > "restore" > "restore db.sh"
Attached Files
File Type: zip tsukuMin2ryumin.zip (393 Bytes, 461 views)

Last edited by tshering; 12-11-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #64
mysheepb

Thank you, tshering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Extract KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive and copy it into .kobo.
I cannot find KoboRoot.tgz in the archive. I am using a Mac to unzip it. After unzipping, there is a folder named KoboRoot, do you mean I should copy the KoboRoot folder into .kobo?

Quote:
Next time please select "install partial update" instead of "install update" when installing a firmware update.
Yes, I will!

Thanks again!!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #65
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you, tshering!

I cannot find KoboRoot.tgz in the archive. I am using a Mac to unzip it. After unzipping, there is a folder named KoboRoot, do you mean I should copy the KoboRoot folder into .kobo?
No, this would not help. I do not know about how to unzip on a Mac. Evidently, the way you do it does more than extracting the content of the zip archive; it also unpacks the contained tgz file. Extract KoboRoot.tgz in the same way as you did when you installed KSM 08.
Advert
Old 12-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #66
mysheepb

I used another utility to unzip the archive. The KSM is up and running now!!
Thank you so much for your help!!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #67
tshering
Wizard

I updated post #63, which concerns the newly introduced KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #68
refj
refj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello. Thanks for this awesome software. I have a few questions. I apologize if I've missed some resource where these are answered.

1) I've been wanting to write a small sqlite script that will bump all the useful PNGs to the top of my home screen. For that reason I need to have that script run on startup. I couldn't find how/if KSM executes user-provided scripts at startup (nothing that I could find in rcS or ksmhome.sh). Is there a recommended way to do this?

2) The bouncer always starts rotated. I notice it comes in two flavours (kbbouncer.sh and kbbouncer90.sh). How do I get it to use the vertical one?

3) The power button seems to not do anything while in KSM. Is that expected?

4) Is there a way to change the poweroff screen to the one that nickel uses? (I don't seem to be able to find it in /etc/images/, although ffmpeg didn't convert everything properly)

5) Last but not least, is development taking place publicly somewhere?

Edit:
6) Is there a way to power off from inside KOreader?

Last edited by refj; 12-26-2015 at 05:58 PM.
refj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #69
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For "6)" you could try this

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #70
refj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
For "6)" you could try this

Luck;
Ken
Thank you very much Ken.

Also, consider 4 resolved as well. I figured out that the font in the "powered off" is screen "CMU Serif Bold Italic", so I made my own version of that.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #71
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by refj View Post
1) I've been wanting to write a small sqlite script that will bump all the useful PNGs to the top of my home screen. For that reason I need to have that script run on startup. I couldn't find how/if KSM executes user-provided scripts at startup (nothing that I could find in rcS or ksmhome.sh). Is there a recommended way to do this?
KSM does currently not run user scripts on startup. You could modify rcS, ksmhome.sh, or - maybe better for your purpose - /adds/kbmenu/onstart/start_nickel.sh.

Quote:
2) The bouncer always starts rotated. I notice it comes in two flavours (kbbouncer.sh and kbbouncer90.sh). How do I get it to use the vertical one?
You could replace in ksmhome.sh
Code:
bouncer=$ksmroot/kbbouncer/kbbouncer.sh
by
Code:
bouncer=$ksmroot/kbbouncer/kbbouncer90.sh
This would only effect the password check at start up.

Or you could rename kbbouncer90.sh to kbbouncer.sh.

Quote:
3) The power button seems to not do anything while in KSM. Is that expected?
It forces a power off if you hold it for 20 seconds or so. It wakes up the device from suspend.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #72
refj

Quote:
KSM does currently not run user scripts on startup. You could modify rcS, ksmhome.sh, or - maybe better for your purpose - /adds/kbmenu/onstart/start_nickel.sh.

You could replace in ksmhome.sh
Code:
bouncer=$ksmroot/kbbouncer/kbbouncer.sh
by
Code:
bouncer=$ksmroot/kbbouncer/kbbouncer90.sh
This would only effect the password check at start up.

Or you could rename kbbouncer90.sh to kbbouncer.sh.
Thanks. I had recently ended up modifying start_nickel.sh and ksmhome.sh, just as you advise.

In fact, here's my startup tile-bumping script, in case it benefits someone else too. Note that I haven't bothered with proper resolution of filepaths so this is just for the Kobo Glo HD for all I know.
Spoiler:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/adds/kbmenu/tools/sqlite3 /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite <<'EOF'

-- Noise

UPDATE "Activity" SET "Enabled" = 0 WHERE Type = "GlobalStats";
UPDATE "Activity" SET "Enabled" = 0 WHERE Type = "Sync";

-- Games (no chess since it's gone in the last version of nickel)

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "scramble" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "scramble",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "sudoku" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "sudoku",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "rushhour" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "rushhour",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "solitaire" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "solitaire",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "sketch" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "sketch",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

-- Funny swapping for the browser

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browserTmp" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "browserTmp",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser" ;
Update Activity set Id = "browser" where Id = "browserTmp";

-- kbmenupngs

Delete from Activity where Id = "file:///mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs/exit_nickel.png";
Insert into Activity values ("file:///mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs/exit_nickel.png",1,"RecentBook",2,"3100-01-01T00:00:00",X'00000000');

Delete from Activity where Id = "file:///mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs/toggle_nightmode.png";
Insert into Activity values ("file:///mnt/onboard/kbmenupngs/toggle_nightmode.png",1,"RecentBook",2,"3101-01-01T00:00:00",X'00000000');

EOF

Quote:
It forces a power off if you hold it for 20 seconds or so. It wakes up the device from suspend.
I see, thanks.

And yet another question: If I sideload books while outside of nickel, is there a way to force it to rescan my sd card?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #73
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks. I had recently ended up modifying start_nickel.sh and ksmhome.sh, just as you advise.

In fact, here's my startup tile-bumping script, in case it benefits someone else too. Note that I haven't bothered with proper resolution of filepaths so this is just for the Kobo Glo HD for all I know.
Thank you for sharing. I put a link to your script to the first page of this thread.

Quote:
And yet another question: If I sideload books while outside of nickel, is there a way to force it to rescan my sd card?
Try simulate_usb_connection.png. Cf. this post. However, it is not 100 percent reliable.

Last edited by tshering; 01-05-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #74
refj

Thanks again tshering.

I've been working on these changes for koreader and noticed a couple of problems with $dontTamperwithFrontlight in KSM. (a) The meaning was inverted: The code changes the value of the frontlight when this variable is set to "true" and (b) it wasn't used everywhere I believe it should.

For this reason I've put together a patch that (a) fixes this and also (b) allows koreader to be aware of and delete "onstart/nickelkoreaderloop.sh" to end the koreader-nickel / nickel-koreader loop. https://gist.github.com/dset0x/a02f4ef0ff1897608e15

(Edit: By the way: why are "trilogy" and "pixie" excluded from this?)

Please let me know if you see any issues with it. It would be great if it could made it to the next KSM release.

Last edited by refj; 01-11-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
(Edit: By the way: why are "trilogy" and "pixie" excluded from this?)
"trilogy" is the Touch and "pixie" the Mini. Neither have a front light.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote